Author Topic: 3.5 D won't start  (Read 441 times)

oldfogey

3.5 D won't start
« on: August 19, 2023, 06:54:32 PM »
Last summer I had a problem with my 3.5 D not operating correctly. It wasn't heating but the display showed high temp then alarm would go off. I got involved in a couple of large projects and forgot about the problem until bone in pork shoulders went on sale for 99 cents a lb. at the local market. I came home,plugged the 3.5 in, flipped the switch and nothing happened. I read thru the forum to look for similar  problems and found a lot involved broken or burnt wires. Before taking the back off  I plugged a fan in the outlet to see if it was live. Then I took the back off taking pictures as I removed 3 layers of insulation checking the wires for burns or breaks. Everything looks OK and I used a  multimeter  on the element to check for continuity . One 
wire on the solid state relay had a little black on it but when I traced it to the pid it went through a black plastic tube and attached to the board. i don't know if the black on the wire was a mark to designate it. I'll take any advice you have replace pid ,solid state relay, or whatever. I'll try to attach some pictures.
Charles from Ohio
SI 3.5D
Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Stainless Charcoal Grill, X-Large
Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 3.5 D won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 10:49:39 PM »
Did you check to see if you are getting any readings from the controller switch when it is turned on? If not, switch is bad.  If yes, then trace to where you get no reading.  Do you get a good continuity reading on each wire?  You might also contact Steve and see if he has any history of a similar problem.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus