Author Topic: Bella CSG Help!  (Read 1860 times)

agcrock2005

Bella CSG Help!
« on: February 20, 2023, 11:44:41 AM »
I've used it 3 times now and can't seem to get it to last very long.  I saw a 2 Guys & A Cooler video where he was able to get his to work for 8 or 9 hours.  Mine seems to die out after 2-3 hours.  Any advice is appreciated!  I simply used the 1/2 wood chip/1/2 pellet mixture that was sent to me with the product.  Thanks for help.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bella CSG Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 07:05:42 PM »
Did you get the lid wheel with your bella?  See the link:
https://www.smokin-it.com/product-p/bsmkgenwheel.htm

You don't say whether you used up a full load of chips/pellets or only had a partial load during the 2-3 hour burn.  You did not say anything about the possibility of moisture extinguishing the burn which would be noticeable on the underside of the lid.    Some folks have had to relight and adjust the air flow till they had it dialed in. Some had the medium packed so tight that air was cut off. Tough for successful users to help on minimal info.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
I was hoping people would tell me how they do it successfully so that I can try to mimic that rather than talking about how I did it incorrectly.  As with everything else I've purchased from Smokin-it, there are very few instructions on how to actually use the product so I relied on a couple YouTube videos showing how someone else used the product.  The lid did have some liquid on the underside when I noticed it was extinguishing itself so the second time I used it I tried leaving it slightly open.  Third time I opened even more.  I adjusted several times throughout the cook trying to get better airflow.  When I would empty the generator out there were several pellets and chips that hadn't been lit so it's obviously an airflow thing but hoping someone could tell me how they operate this successfully.  The two videos I've found don't even have damper on the lids of theirs so they're not helpful when it comes to this issue.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
Pellets will swell as they absorb moisture either during a smoke or from less than adequate storage.  Try just chips which are dryer from the outset. Small chips. If you are wanting to use pellets, keep them in an airtight container.  Also, make sure to clean the bella per the instructions after each use. Keep the air pump at max flow for 10 or more minutes to ensure you have a good burn going as per the instructions.  Also, the humidity in the air where you live will be drawn in during use. Tinker with it till you get what you want.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Arizonasun

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 06:35:33 PM »
I have the same problem. The Bella was brand new and needed to be relit numerous times on my first smoke. I used brand new Treager pellets. Filled the Bella with the pellets to the cover. I tried with the top cover wide open and the pump at max and still could not keep the Bella lit. After about an hour, which was my first and longest light there was condensation on the top cover. This was with the vent on the cover wide open. I relit it numerous times but could not keep it burning.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 10:33:11 PM »
This may or may not help.  Over on another forum, I read a couple years back that some folks has resorted to microwaving their pellets briefly to remove some excess moisture. I honestly forget what unit they were using. They said it worked and then someone chimed in about doing something similar with wood chips. Reactions were sort of mixed as to whether the moisture solution was viable or not. Since combustion produces moisture, you could try drying out a batch of pellets in the sun for a couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 10:40:03 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 12:01:05 AM »
I have the same problem. The Bella was brand new and needed to be relit numerous times on my first smoke. I used brand new Treager pellets. Filled the Bella with the pellets to the cover. I tried with the top cover wide open and the pump at max and still could not keep the Bella lit. After about an hour, which was my first and longest light there was condensation on the top cover. This was with the vent on the cover wide open. I relit it numerous times but could not keep it burning.

Wish I could tell you the answer, and that I was happy with my purchases.  Seems like everything Smokin-it is "figure it out on your own" style.  I am still working on the Bella and have found that smaller wood chips (allowing more air into the chamber) work better than dense pellets that have little air.  There's also a 2 Guys and A Cooler video that you can search for that compares the Bella and a competitor and his Bella lasts for 8 hours.  Ironically in that video the top on his bella chamber had ZERO air holes...how in the hell does that work?  So my last smoke, which was my best, was 3/4 full chamber with small wood chips (NO PELLETS) and it worked better than it has before.  Would I buy a Bella again?  Absolutely not. >:(

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 06:42:29 PM »
Seems like everything Smokin-it is "figure it out on your own" style.

disclaimer:  I don't own and haven't used a Bella.

It seems unrealistic to think that instructions could cover the variables in play here.  You have the local climate/weather to consider.  You also have a variety of wood/pellet sources, types that are all going to behave differently.

How long are you letting your pellets burn before removing / blowing out any flame?  A quick search says some people go a full 10 minutes just for a smoke tube.  If you don't have a smoke tube you might grab one and test your pellets there.  If you can't keep it burning then you definitely wouldn't keep a Bella burning.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

agcrock2005

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 07:33:48 PM »
Seems like everything Smokin-it is "figure it out on your own" style.

disclaimer:  I don't own and haven't used a Bella.

It seems unrealistic to think that instructions could cover the variables in play here.  You have the local climate/weather to consider.  You also have a variety of wood/pellet sources, types that are all going to behave differently.

How long are you letting your pellets burn before removing / blowing out any flame?  A quick search says some people go a full 10 minutes just for a smoke tube.  If you don't have a smoke tube you might grab one and test your pellets there.  If you can't keep it burning then you definitely wouldn't keep a Bella burning.

You don't have one so you don't understand there's literally no instructions.  Just a bag with a mixture of wood cubes and pellets.  When I used those it didn't work well either.  As I mentioned earlier after googling I was only able to find one or two videos talking about the product so I followed their advice and still couldn't keep it working very long because those videos don't have the damper on the lid.  I have no clue what you're talking about burning, then removing and blowing out pellets.  My best luck has been with no pellets at all.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 02:51:00 PM »
  • They really should include the instructions with it.
  • Failing that, they could at least include a slip with the URL to the instructions on the website

https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/smokegenerator.pdf

Unfortunately, the Smokin-It documentation on their website is something of a secret:  https://www.smokin-it.com/Articles.asp?ID=251
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 02:53:59 PM by LarryD »
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 02:56:50 PM »
As far as 'what I was talking about', it did assume pellets, but would still apply to chunks.  It sounds like you're not actually getting them hot enough long enough to sustain the burn.  Fire requires fuel, oxygen, and heat.  The simplest statement is to 'light it for longer'.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 08:42:40 PM »
Thanks for chiming in Larry. Much appreciated.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 09:36:33 AM »
It is very important when using the bella make sure that you clean the interior walls of the main body as well as using the included tools to clean the smoke tube and air nipple.

Also Make sure that you black air supply line is kinked along its length as this will restrict the air flow.   Once you have the generator going you should turn down the air pump to 1/2 speed.  Running at full speed will burn the wood faster.

NorthernSmoker

• Expanding my culinary horizons
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 09:46:36 PM »
I'm definitely interested in following this thread.  My experience has been a bit of the opposite.  I feel like I get a run-a-way fire in my Bella CSG.  I've resorted to an aquarium in-line regulator to help slow the amount of air going in because I've literally had to put out fires in my Bella CSG...  Ive experimented with different pellets and chip combos and have un-scientifically concluded that I'm not a fan of Traeger pellets in my Bella; they seem to burn too hot.  Comments and thoughts from others are Greatly appreciated.
NorthernSmoker
SI 3.5D WiFi
Bella CSG
Weber Smokey Mtn. 18.5"
Berkel Grinder
F. Dick Sausage Stuffer
Excalibur Dehydrator
Chef Steps Joule Sous Vide
Victorinox RH Forschner Knives

old sarge

• Global Moderator