Author Topic: Erratic Digital Temperature Display  (Read 480 times)

Smoked Mullet Master

Erratic Digital Temperature Display
« on: February 25, 2023, 08:32:46 PM »
Smokin-It #3D has an Erratic Digital Temperature Display.  The smoker temperature and thermometer readings go up and down repeatedly, then the high temperature alarm goes off.  Is my board bad?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Erratic Digital Temperature Display
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 10:10:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Too little info to be of much help.  How old is the smoker?  Your probes may be bad or it could be the controller. The D models have been upgraded over the years so they have different digital controllers, all manufactured by Auber and have a 1 year warranty while the smoker itself less the controller has a 3 year warranty. On the home page, for the customer, you can see tips for the D models and how to reset the controller to factory specs if you think that will help.  On the Auber site, look for the controller (different housing) and you will also find instructions for resetting. 
You can also try an auto-tune which might be advisable before doing a reset.  If you auto tune, make sure you have a dummy load in the smoker such a a throw away aluminum loaf pan filled with 'damp' sand.  Not wet, damp, to simulate meat.  It will give off moisture much like a butt or brisket or chicken would. In either case, call up your current PID settings and write them down so you can return to them.  A photo or your controller might prove useful to someone who may have experienced a  similar problem.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smoked Mullet Master

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 09:14:18 PM »
Smoker was purchased Nov. 2019.  Do you have a direct link on how to do a factory reset?  I took the controller off, and it had some condensation inside.  I blew it out with my air compressor and also applied a hair drier 2 days ago.  I just reinstalled it today, turned it on again and the actual smoker temperature digital display still goes up and down rapidly.  The element comes on, but eventually the high temp. alarm goes off, but the inside temperature keeps rising past my preset temp. of 228 degrees.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:33:45 PM »
This may help, if it is the same controller.  You can also call Auber direct.  Also, Steve might be able to walk you through the process.  But access all the parameters and recocord your PID setings before making changes: https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/WST-1510H_manual.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus