Author Topic: Reverse sear another way  (Read 731 times)

prudentsmoker

Reverse sear another way
« on: July 01, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
I know we all love cast iron and gas grills to sear, but hear me out. As I have said before I am a fan of America's Test Kitchen. They had a recipe (see below) for pan seared strip steaks and it got me to thinking and it works for smoked steaks as well. Basically you get a non-stick pan as hot as feasible and flip the steaks every minute until you get the crust you want. It works great. Here is the recipe for the pan seared strip steaks-
Pan-Seared Strip Steaks
SERVES 4
TIME20 minutes
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
Pan-searing strip or rib-eye steaks usually leads to a smoky, grease-splattered kitchen—but it doesn't have to. To devise a fast, mess-free method for achieving deeply seared, rosy meat, we started the steaks in a “cold” (not preheated) nonstick skillet over high heat and flipped them every 2 minutes; that way, the meat's temperature increased gradually, allowing a crust to build up on the outside without overcooking the interior. Because we were cooking in a nonstick skillet, it wasn't necessary to lubricate the skillet with oil; plus, the well-marbled meat exuded enough fat to achieve a good sear, and adding more simply encouraged splatter. We started cooking over high heat to burn off moisture and prevent the steaks from steaming but quickly lowered the heat to medium; at this temperature, the meat kept sizzling, but there was no risk of the fat smoking. Before serving, we sliced the steaks and sprinkled them with coarse sea salt so that every bite was well seasoned.

INGREDIENTS

2 (12- to 16-ounce) boneless strip steaks, 1½ inches thick, trimmed

1 teaspoon pepper
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
This recipe also works with boneless rib-eye steaks of a similar thickness. If you have time, salt the steaks for at least 45 minutes or up to 24 hours before cooking: Sprinkle each of the steaks with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, refrigerate them, and pat them dry with paper towels before cooking. Serve with Sauce Verte, if desired.
INSTRUCTIONS
Pat steaks dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with pepper. Place steaks 1 inch apart in cold 12-inch nonstick skillet. Place skillet over high heat and cook steaks for 2 minutes. Flip steaks and cook on second side for 2 minutes. (Neither side of steaks will be browned at this point.)
Flip steaks, reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook, flipping steaks every 2 minutes, until browned and meat registers 120 to 125 degrees (for medium-rare), 4 to 10 minutes longer. (Steaks should be sizzling gently; if not, increase heat slightly. Reduce heat if skillet starts to smoke.)
Transfer steaks to carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice steaks, season with coarse or flake sea salt to taste, and serve.

Brian from Wichita

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Reverse sear another way
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 12:04:10 PM »
Brian - I remember that or a similar episode.  Didnt they do a comparison between cold and room temp steaks?  Or maybe it was frozen versus thawed?  Anyway, thanks for sharing.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

tpcdelisle

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 12:07:30 AM »
This is a great method of searing. Although I use a non-stick pan for lower heat cooking, I use carbon steel for scorching heat because non-stick coatings can break down and even off gas. Great method though.
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 09:16:37 PM »
I don't remember a cold vs room temp, but then again the old memory ain't what it used to be.
Brian from Wichita

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »
I don't remember a cold vs room temp, but then again the old memory ain't what it used to be.

Here you go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers