Author Topic: Considering a SI #3  (Read 853 times)

Nefarious

Considering a SI #3
« on: March 24, 2022, 04:15:35 PM »
I am looking for a replacement for my tin can SV 18 and think the Smokin-it #3 is a likely candidate.  I was looking at the wifi version but is seems strange that one would build a complete, impressive, stainless steel smoker and then screw a re plastic wifi module on top.  It should really be a wp stainless junction box kind of thing, seems to me?  So I then moved my thoughts to doing it myself.  Which is why I'mhere.

I read a few posts about adding an auber controller and landed on the one where the suggestion was made to put the permanent temperature probe as far away from the heat source as possible.  This seems wrong to me.

There is a temperature gradient in the smoker body and the temperature difference between these two places is the greatest.  When the heat source is on, the heat source is the hottest and when it is about to go on, it will be the coldest.  This swing will be greater the further the probe is from the source, maybe I'm missing something.  Or, maybe with a well insulated chamber, it doesn't matter.  It just struck me as odd.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Considering a SI #3
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »
There was a lot of testing and brainstorming done a few years back and it was determined that stability was best with the probe moved toward the top of the smoker from it's long standing location directly above the wood box. Part of the testing also included marrying the stand alone auber to the smoker and fiddling with box probe location.
As for the plastic housing on the digital and wifi versions, they work well and hold up well.  Cookshack electric smokers has been around a lot longer and their  controller housing has always been plastic.  No issues.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Nefarious

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »
Thats interesting, I read a couple of posts that indicate the top position was taken from Auber as a default.  Then I went to Auber site and the reasoning was only that the temperature was more stable at the top. 

Anyway, I assume that it doesn't matter enough to warrant a discussion.  The time between samples is probably so small and the insulation is so good.  Add to that the fact that. 1° fluctuation is better then one could expect in any cooking situation. 

But the plastic is not so easy to ignore.  I read at least one post where someone from the NW used a sheet of aluminum foil for a rain mod.  The fact it even came up is troublesome to me.  Besides, your from Arizona, i lived in Glendale in the early 70's.  I'll ask around some NW people to.see how they think it fares in constant rain.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 06:15:43 PM »
Forgot my manners:  Welcome to the forum Ray! As for the controller protection, some have done it because of rain and others to protect the screen from bright sunlight. I am not personally aware of any water damaged controllers but if there were 1 or 2 issues, I believe the customer would have dealt directly with Steve.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Nefarious

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 06:53:32 PM »
I do appreciate your perspective, and thank you for your responses. 

Not only do I have concerns with the potential for the controller to leak, if I am going to.spend the money on a complete stainless smoker I want the controller to also be in a stainless steel enclosure.

My thoughts at the moment are to get a #3 analog and if I get the urge to go with a pid or wifi pid, then I can add it myself and have it removable in a stainless junction box.  Someone surely has done something like this that I can copy some ideas from.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »
We have had, prior to incorporating the PID into the smoker, a great many folkswho added an Auber to their analog.  Some have addedd a bypass switch and installed a dedicated box probe in the location of their choice. The switch allows them to use the smoker  in analog modeif the Auber dies, and because the Auber is added on, it can be removed during inclement weather or stored indoors when not in use.  Here is a link that might help.  9 pages total:
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.0

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives