Author Topic: Brisket Fiasco  (Read 1134 times)

Skook54

Brisket Fiasco
« on: August 28, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
Got a whole nice brisket (flat and point), smoked at 225 with end goal of 200 degrees reached (remote thermometer in).  Took it out at stall (160 degrees), and wrapped in peach paper.

It tasted great but was TOO DONE. NOT a happy Brisket Man!!!

I did NOT have any liquid in the pan below.

Any thoughts from brisket smokers who have better results, Please?

mike1910

Re: Brisket Fiasco
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 11:29:51 PM »
I’m no brisket expert but from my limited experience and from what I’ve read internal temp is a guide and you’re more so looking for the brisket to be jiggly and to probe with no resistance. Another thing you could check is your probes to make sure they’re reading accurate. Also- when you say no liquid in the pan below do you mean you didn’t put any liquid in the water pan or no liquid rendered out? Whatever the case don’t let it deter you, every smoke is a learning experience! Cheers
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 02:23:36 AM »
I do not take my briskets (or butts) out at the stall and wrap.  I just let it work its way through till I get the 190/195 IT.  The only time I wrap is when it has reached that final temp and then into a cooler till eating time.

By the. way, welcome to the forum and what smoker do you have?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 09:53:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I agree with David. I also do not wrap until after the cook is done. For my brisket I always pull it at 195. I find at that temperature it is very tender. I’m still able to slice it and it is very moist. Experimentation is the key. You just have to find what works best for you and is to your taste.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »
I'm with the "they're done when they're done" group. I use 195 as a gauge to start paying attention, but I've had briskets I had to take to 205+ before they were done.  I also never mess with them once they go in...  there is simply no reason to mess with them in these smokers.  Every time you open the door you're letting out heat, smoke, and moisture while also extending the time until it's done.  Just let it be...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 05:25:33 PM »
All excellent advice above. And especially the jiggly comment!

But, I feel with our smokers, 190-195 is the target. All the briskets I’ve cooked (usually Costco Prime packers) 195 is the highest I’ve ever taken a brisket. I think these smokers help with so many different things that pellet poopers and stick burners don’t. I don’t have experience with those, just to be fair. But that is my experience with the 3D and from a Weber Kettle.

That said, sometimes we just happen to get a cut of meat that doesn’t necessarily cooperate with what our plans are.

Hope you have success on the next cook!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear