Author Topic: Probe cover  (Read 1401 times)

CardsFan

Probe cover
« on: January 01, 2021, 06:20:09 PM »
I just got my Model #1 a few weeks ago. I have it in a covered area so I don't have to worry about rain or anything. However, I didn't want dust or bugs getting into it. I noticed that the hole for the probe / smoke was about the size of a wine cork. I ordered these wine stoppers https://www.amazon.com/OXO-SteeL-Expanding-Wine-Stoppers/dp/B074ZPLPS3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=OXO+SteeL+Expanding+Leakproof+Wine+Stopper&qid=1609542976&sr=8-1. They look like a factory accessory when installed. You push down on the stainless steel top and it expands the stopper to seal the space and it sits flush on the surface. I think it looks and works great!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:34:01 PM by CardsFan »

barelfly

Re: Probe cover
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 06:31:16 PM »
That looks pretty good! Great first post!

Welcome to the board, from the Land of Enchantment!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

CardsFan

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 06:36:50 PM »
Thank you! I did my first smoke (post-seasoning) yesterday and it turned out amazing. I did a picanha and it took just under 2 hours (very happy I have my Weber iGrill because the recipe said 2-3 hours). The picanha was excellent, if a bit too smokey. Will use less wood next time. What a great smoker!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
Great fix!  You might also want to plug the drain hole also; I had a mouse set up temporary quarters in mine. I used a heavy bolt, bent a stove washer to fit the smoker bottom and secured washer to bolt with JB Weld.  No more rodent issues.  Did take some cleaning though. Little sucker left hair and droppings.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 08:14:45 PM »
Welcome Cardsfan from SW Missouri. Thanks for sharing the wine stopper idea. It looks like a good solution to keep the critters out. Also, thanks to David for your solution to plugging the drain hole. Critters should only be in the smoker if they are on the menu.

Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger