Author Topic: Store Bought Upgrade  (Read 2861 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Store Bought Upgrade
« on: September 29, 2019, 08:53:51 PM »
I bought some Fletchers Dry Cure bacon at Costco.  It comes in two 1.5 pound packages.  It has some nice features.  It cooks nicely with no moisture in the pan and it renders fat properly.  I liked the low sodium too.  The problem is the lack of flavor due to no smoke, etc. 

I want to cook with it too so I thought I could improve things with my smoker. 
I tided it to keep things in place and seasoned it with coarse grind pepper.  Into the model 1 at 170 to get the smoke started.  Then I reduced the heat to 150 and let it smoke to 140. Maybe 130 or so would work too.  I used 1.8oz of wood, 60% hickory/40% apple split into smaller pieces.  After a 30 minute rest it went into the fridge.  Bacon for breakfast this morning was super and the kitchen smelled good too.  I'd like to say that I want to play around with the procedure but the results say otherwise.  This may be cheating a bit but its's super easy and very tasty.

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Re: Store Bought Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 11:34:51 AM »
I have an update.  I tried this process again.  This time I used a bit more wood, about 2.4oz.  Evidently this is important hear as the end result was a bit over smoked.  I smoked it to an IT of 130 instead of 140 and that part went well.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
Overall, are you happy with your final product?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Yes.  My slight over smoking is sort of nit picky.  I had some this morning and is was good, just not as good as the first batch.  It has a slightly burnt smell before cooking too.  After inspecting the leftovers in the burner box, I may have chopped the wood finer than before causing a faster burn.  Next time I'll not do that.  Maybe I'll do straight hickory or apple next time just for kicks.