Author Topic: Variation on Spicy Pork Rub  (Read 6786 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Variation on Spicy Pork Rub
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
I give credit to Grimm5577's "Spicy Pork Rub" recipe for the basis of this.  It's pretty much the same, but I've added my own twist; I added choriander, and don't use white sugar (I find it sweet enough without it).  I've also halved the cayenne so it's not quite as "spicy."  The heat is very subjective, so definitely adjust to your own taste!

Dry Rub: (based on Grimm5577's Spicy Pork Rub):
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/3 cup paprika
2 Tbls garlic powder (or granulated garlic)
2 Tbls onion powder
1 Tsp cayenne
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp cumin
1 Tsp coriander

Mix well to get the lumps out of the brown sugar.  Stores well, and makes enough for a couple of butts and a little more. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

alanfred

• Winter Haven Resort
Re: Variation on Spicy Pork Rub
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
The ingredients in this rub are identical to Lazy-O's Pork Dry Rub, the difference is amount of last 4 items. Lazy-Q calls for 1 Tbl of cayenne, cumin, coriander, and black pepper, where as this recipe calls for 1 tsp of the last 4 items. I understand spices in rubs are to ones own taste, as this is my first real smoke, (frozen Tyson chicken wings don't really count, but they came out very good using apple wood)

I will be doing Baby Back Ribs.

So the question is, Tbl or tsp?
Alan & Betty
Living the retirement dream at
Winter Haven Resort
Brownsville TX
SI #1

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 04:51:13 PM »
I have not made this rub, so cannot tell you for sure, but since 1 Tablespoon equals 3 Teaspoons, I would start with a teaspoon of each, and then taste and decide if you want more of each spice. For example, a Tablespoon of cayenne might blow some people's socks off, and others will like it just fine. And while I might go the full tablespoon of cumin, my brother hates the stuff, and would probably leave it out entirely.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

alanfred

• Winter Haven Resort
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:25:38 PM »
I didn't even think to taste it, with 1 Tbl of cayenne it was about as hot as I would like it, if I'm going to share these ribs with friends I better dial it back.

So I made another batch of rub using 1 tsp of last 4 spices as indicated in the latter post. The plan is to smoke 2 racks, one with each rub and see which we prefer.

Results should be ready tomorrow afternoon.
Alan & Betty
Living the retirement dream at
Winter Haven Resort
Brownsville TX
SI #1

johnsmith

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »
I found many variations here (https://wiltshirebacon.com/) and believe me its Delicious. You should give it a try.