Author Topic: 2nd Smokin-it Smoker!  (Read 2408 times)

Rich B

2nd Smokin-it Smoker!
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:37:40 PM »
I've had my #3 for over a year now up at my cottage and love it, we often cook for a crowd up there so the #3 made sense for us.  As I use it more and more and really love the results, I start to wonder if I should have another smoker at home...  I just happened to browse craigslist for my area (dangerous move) and found someone selling a gently used #1, by gently used I mean he made one batch of ribs and decided it wasn't for him.  I went to look at it and the shelves were upside down, the cardboard ring around around the temp probe used in shipping was still on, he used about 6 chunks of wood for the ribs, big chunks from a large bag of hickory he bought at Lowes....(see where I'm going with this).  I didn't ask him how the ribs turned out but I plugged it in and cranked the thermostat up and in a few minutes it was getting plenty warm so I knew everything was working.  I paid the nice man, put it in the back of my truck and whistled a happy tune all the way home!!  Now I gotta pick up another thermostat and some pit gloves and i'll probably order a cover and some q-matz for fish.  I bagged up some wood chunks from my supply at the cottage so I'm good on wood for a while. Won't get a chance to christen it properly until next Monday but looking forward playing with the baby brother of smokers and teach my boys how to barbecue properly.  Oh happy me!
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

Greenenvey

Re: 2nd Smokin-it Smoker!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
That's awesome,great job  on finding that.  ;D
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
That is awesome. I would love to add another smoker to dedicate to my lake place. You inspired me to put a saved search in my Craigslist. Hopefully I'll get lucky too. Until then, I just truck it there and back and it is not a problem.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »
Sounds like he should have visited us, before selling it....he would have been enjoying the great Q you are about to make in it! ;) ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
Great find!

I'm the opposite.  I have a #2 at my regular house, which I use extremely often, and found that I missed smoked food when I went to my vacation cabin.  So I got a #1 for when I am out there. Wish I could have found it used, but at least I don't go through Bbq withdrawal any more.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Rich B

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
I should clarify Eric, our lake house is only 9o miles away and we go there every weekend plus my 5 weeks vacation is spent there as well.
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:31 PM »
Lucky you, I only get out to my cabin 3 or 4 times a year, but it involves a trip from NY to Colorado, so weekend visits are out.  Love it when I am there, though.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.