Author Topic: Thinking About Getting a #3D.. Talk me into it!  (Read 13815 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Thinking About Getting a #3D.. Talk me into it!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »
I was really liking the price of the #3 but that is a no go because I smoke everything at 275 and it only reaches 250.

A couple of important points in your comments. The #3 is a great smoker at a great price, you cant go wrong with it.

As for smoking everything at 275, I understand you do but should you? I believe you will get better results at lower temps. I have a #3 and love it, no issues and never wanting for additional heat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gunman9

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
to each his own. I got the 3D so I can't wait to fire it up! What's a good cart for it?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 11:57:29 PM »
Use the members tab and look for member grandpa doodles. He built a cart that is really nice. Although it was for a 2 you should be able adapt it to the 3.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gunman9

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
Ya I just seen DivotMakers cart he made using one of the Harbor Freight carts. I think im going to go that route but box in the sides and put a door on it underneith for better storage. Should add some more rigidity to it as well.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
Ya I just seen DivotMakers cart he made using one of the Harbor Freight carts. I think im going to go that route but box in the sides and put a door on it underneith for better storage. Should add some more rigidity to it as well.

It's fine for the 3, but not the 3D...too tall!  Unless you're about 7' tall, you won't be able to read the display! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gunman9

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »

It's fine for the 3, but not the 3D...too tall!  Unless you're about 7' tall, you won't be able to read the display!

Good news is the people at harbor freight only passed 8th grade and don't know how to read lol... Because it was never in stock. So the search continues for something. What would you recommend? Trying to stay around $100

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »
Good news is the people at harbor freight only passed 8th grade and don't know how to read lol... Because it was never in stock. So the search continues for something. What would you recommend? Trying to stay around $100

The SI cart sits 21" off the floor (wheels off the smoker).  That's a perfect height, whatever you decide.  Use that as a "baseline."
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gunman9

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »

The SI cart sits 21" off the floor (wheels off the smoker).  That's a perfect height, whatever you decide.  Use that as a "baseline."

Thanks. And will do. I may end up building my own cart. Haven't decided yet. Does that 21" on the SI cart include the casters?

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
Yes, the height the smoker sits off the floor, on an SI cart, is 21".  Whether you have the wheels on or off the smoker, it is always 21".  If you use the SI cart, you remove the wheels from the smoker, and bolts replace them (to hold it onto the cart).
Tony from NW Arkansas

gunman9

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 08:06:32 PM »
Yes, the height the smoker sits off the floor, on an SI cart, is 21".  Whether you have the wheels on or off the smoker, it is always 21".  If you use the SI cart, you remove the wheels from the smoker, and bolts replace them (to hold it onto the cart).

Roger that. Not sure what I'm going to do. I have seen some neat ideas on here but now it sounds like the 3D is gonna be a little harder to find a stand for than I originally thought. Thanks for the help so far. Now to build... Or buy.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »

I use the Harbor Freight with my #3 without any issues. I am only 6'2" and can see the dial pretty easily. I wouldn't want it any taller though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »

I use the Harbor Freight with my #3 without any issues. I am only 6'2" and can see the dial pretty easily. I wouldn't want it any taller though.

If you ever get a 3D, you won't.  The setup I had, with the stock 3, was fine.  But, the screen on the D-model controller sits at about a 45-degree angle to the viewer, so it needs to be lower than eye level....hence, the "7' tall" comment! ;)   Only applies to the D-model.
Tony from NW Arkansas

ArsenalFan

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
I got a Craftsman rolling tool cabinet, and the top surface was a perfect fit for the 3D and it has several drawers to hold tools, wood, racks not being used, therms, etc.
Ben
Solon, OH
Smokin-It #3D
MES30 (using as cold-smoker...nevermind, fixed)
MES40 (currently used as a re-wiring project)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 11:40:42 AM »
Do you have the item or model number of the cabinet?  May help others.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »

If you ever get a 3D, you won't.  The setup I had, with the stock 3, was fine.  But, the screen on the D-model controller sits at about a 45-degree angle to the viewer, so it needs to be lower than eye level....hence, the "7' tall" comment! ;)   Only applies to the D-model.

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.