Author Topic: 3 vs 3D  (Read 16561 times)

drains

Re: 3 vs 3D
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »
Congratulations! Welcome to Lazy Q! I have had no regrets about my decision to join the smokin-it family. You will use your smoker more than you think because its so easy. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

smokinwannabee

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
Thanks dale. Just hoping I can not screw up too much to start and produce some good smoked meats. 
Jeff.  Colorado

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »
Thanks dale. Just hoping I can not screw up too much to start and produce some good smoked meats.
As long as you weigh your wood, I guarantee that it will at least all be edible.  LOL! There is a learning curve but at least with this forum it is a pretty short one.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

smokinwannabee

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 11:42:15 PM »
hoping learning curve is shorter than I am imagining it to be
Jeff.  Colorado

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
hoping learning curve is shorter than I am imagining it to be

It is, and we're here to help, every step of the way! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokinwannabee

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »
Much appreciated
Jeff.  Colorado

JackT

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Glad to throw my 2 cents in as to why to go with the 3D. The Auber keeps the temp exactly where you want it to be. After years of smoking on my Weber Smokey Mountain, it's nice to be able to see the temp stay where you want it. No charcoal to add or airflow to manage. If I understand correctly, the SI non-D models all have a wide temp swing which is considered normal with the analog units. With the 3D, you'll get exactly what you set it for. Being able to set your internal meat temp is icing on the cake. The hardest thing you'll need to get used to is "Don't open the door". If done correctly, all your work is prep and you can just kick back and enjoy the smoke time. Enjoy your new smoker!

Jack
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

smokinwannabee

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
Thanks for the insights, Jack. 
Jeff.  Colorado

smokinwannabee

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Firing it up for first time to season.  Ideas for a first smoke for something simple next weekend?
Jeff.  Colorado

smokinwannabee

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »
Instructions that come with unit say last step is to show temp and time.  Not seeing this. Also green light not showing as lit.    Any help?
Jeff.  Colorado

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 05:07:08 PM »
I can't help you on the Auber question. I'm others will be along in no time to help.

Regarding your first smoke, I would recommend a Boston Butt as it is super easy and hard to screw up, which virtually ensures your first smoke will be a success. Plus it gives your smoker a good workout and gives you a feeling for how it will perform.

I would recommend Tony's brine via this link:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokinwannabee

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
Thanks Greg. This was one I was considering.  Thanks also for the link for the brine. 
Jeff.  Colorado

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »
Smokinwannabee, did you get your display issue resolved?  When you first turn the unit on, what do you see on the controller display? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 05:49:40 PM »
Instructions that come with unit say last step is to show temp and time.  Not seeing this. Also green light not showing as lit.    Any help?
How is it programmed? If you cycle completely through all the programming steps, you come back to temp displays in each window. Green light should be on at that point.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

smokinwannabee

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »
Think so.  Green light flashes not solid.  Not sure if supposed to or not.  Time is moving up by .1 every so often. Temp fluctuating between 246-254.  Not steady as I had anticipated. 
Jeff.  Colorado