Author Topic: 3 vs 3D  (Read 16563 times)

smokinwannabee

3 vs 3D
« on: February 14, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
Ready to make first smokin-it purchase.  Deciding on 3 vs 3D.  Input anyone?  Thanks
Jeff.  Colorado

kz0m

• Carl
Re: 3 vs 3D
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »
Hi Smokinbee as you will bee ;>)
I've had both, the 3 and about two months later the 3D came out, sold the 3 and bought the 3D.  Love both of them, depends on what you want?
Model 3 worked great, set the temperature (approximately the temperature) and walk away.  The 3D is a little more to do, but very easy.  I like the 3D better since it has the Auber already installed along with the meat probe.  Takes a few minutes to set up, once you've done it and understand it, takes really seconds.  The 3D has the ability to set the box temperature, set how long you want to cook, OR set the internal temp you want the meat to be which is what the probe does.  You can also set it to lower the temperature once the internal temperature is reached so you don't have to worry about over cooking the meat.
Anyway, that is just a few reasons I like the 3D vs. 3 model, and I like gadgets so that's another reason for me to get it.  I have to say the MAIN reason I like the 3D is how the box temperature is regulated, VERY precise!!  I cooked some baby back ribs for our Valentines Day lunch today, set the temperature for 235 and checked it several times during the smoke, the temperature NEVER moved off 235, it stayed right on 235.  The trick for me is to keep the cold meat away from the box probe, I cooked a couple pork butts the other day and I could see the temperature starting to vary ever so often.  That reason was because the cold meat was too close to the box temperature probe on the back of the box.  Keeping the cold meat away from the probe, a couple of inches anyway, the temperature stays +- 1-2 degrees from where you set it.
Just my two cents worth, I love the 3D and would not consider selling it like I did the 3 once the 3D came out.
Welcome to the forum and there are a lot of friendly folks here to help you out.  EVERYTHING I have learned about smoking over the past 4 months has been right here and their suggestions are always great, a lot of experience here, you came to a good place for information for sure.

Welcome from DFW Texas area!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »
Love them both, but love the 3D more.  I have used the Auber PID with every one of my smokers, for the last 2 years, so the D model is the natural choice.  I love the precision control, and the "set and forget" capability.  6 programmable steps, if you need them...the ability to reduce temp and "hold" your meat for several hours, automatically....no additional cords to drag around (standalone Auber unit).  Plenty of advantages, if your budget allows!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokinwannabee

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:03:58 PM »
Thanks Carl and DivotMaker.  Final decision is  whether willing to part with the extra $200.00.  Appreciate input from both of you.

Jeff.  Colorado

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »
A good thermometer costs 1/2 of the Auber. You are getting an amazing benefit for $100.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

smokinwannabee

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
Good point Super Dave.  Bout sold on the 3D.  Thanks
Jeff.  Colorado

Kaz

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
Purchased the #3 last year and love it! If I would do it again, which is a possibility I would go 3D without hesitation.
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

smokinwannabee

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:48 PM »
Thanks for your insight Kaz. Looks like going to place order sometime this week or weekend. 
Jeff.  Colorado

smokinwannabee

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »
Placed order for 3D today.  Thanks for all the help and input.  Look forward to enjoying some tasty meats. 
Jeff.  Colorado

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »
You will enjoy the 3D!  They ship fast, get the patio ready! ;-)
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
Congrats!  Now that you've officially joined the family, how about throwing a first name and town in your signature line?  We're pretty familiar & informal, around here. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:27 PM »
They do ship fast. Had mine 3 days from ordering. You'll be smoking by the weekend!
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »
Congrats on pulling the trigger! You won't regret it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokinwannabee

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Thanks everyone. Looks like it shipped today and look forward to figuring out how to smoke some foods. No idea how to add to Signature Line, DivotMaker but Jeff from Colorado Springs.
Jeff.  Colorado

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. Looks like it shipped today and look forward to figuring out how to smoke some foods. No idea how to add to Signature Line, DivotMaker but Jeff from Colorado Springs.

Just click on the Profile tab, above, and select Forum Profile from the drop down menu.  You'll see a section for Signature.  Welcome, Jeff! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas