Author Topic: Jaccard?  (Read 2913 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Jaccard?
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
Does anyone use a jaccard to tenderize the meat?  I've read a few recipes that recommend doing this.  I was just wondering if anyone here has used this technique.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Grampy

Re: Jaccard?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
Dave, I have a jaccard that I hardly ever use. I have never used it on anything that I have smoked in my SI#2. I use it mainly on deer steak that I plan on frying or grilling. It works great for that. However, as I have gotten older I have also gotten lazier. I used to process all of my own deer meat but it is so much easier now to take it to a processor and let them do it. The processor I use tenderizes all of the steaks for me and vaccum seals everything so all I have to do is throw it in the freezer.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »
Dave,

I have had one for a long time now, I use it on pork chops and steaks and chicken.

Mostly for items that I grill.

Greg

RG

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
I used to use one but realized that unless you cook your meat to well done (not an issue with BBQ obviously) that you're actually taking bacteria on the surface of the meat and sending it into the center of the meat where it can't be cooked enough to kill it. If you're a medium/med rare steak eater, this can mean trouble.
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
I was in particular reading its use in some brisket cooks.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
Until this posting, I had never heard of a Jacquard. So I looked it up. I had seen similar such devices in stores but considered them a gadget and quite frankly they did not look very durable. But the actual Jacquard looked very substantial so I ordered it. I like it a lot, very heavy duty and should last a long time.   So thanks for the original  post. One can never have too many tools.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Limey

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »
I have used Jacquards for over twenty years and have never had any problems with them. The trick is not to overuse them otherwise you end up with a mushy texture. The bacteria issue is, imo, overblown-temperature probes anyone?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
Let me know if it comes into play with tough meat that you smoke and what your opinion is. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
I used it on a large strip steak the other night and while I cannot say cooking (grilling) time was reduced as the site indicates, I did have a tasty and tender meal. This model, the meat maximizer w/45 blades and stainless steel posts is NSF certified, and comes apart for easy cleaning. The lifetime warranty is a plus. I don't worry about bacteria on the meat being pushed into the muscle. I generally rinse or paper towel the exterior all meats before seasoning or cooking. Whatever may be left on the surface I refer to as nutritious enzymes.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus