Author Topic: Looking to smoke some Salmon. What do I need? What do I need to do?  (Read 16561 times)

va_rider

So, looking to smoke some sockeye. We were at Costco yesterday, and they were handing out samples of smoked Atlantic Salmon. My wife was a fan, and looked at me and said "you should make this".... So, now I have to figure out how to make it. I've read through some threads here, and it seems like 220+ is the way to go for heat... 1.75-2.25oz of wood, either maple or apple.

This will be a first for me. Normally, I do my salmon on cedar planks on the grill. Do I need some sort of screen? Put in a larger pan of water? Can someone walk me through the basics or point me to a tutorial?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Walt

Re: Looking to smoke some Salmon. What do I need? What do I need to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »
I prefer to smoke salmon @ 170 until an IT of 135 (it will be moist & flakey but still have a very nice smokey taste) useing 3oz pecan.  220 will cause the fat to ooze out & solidify (white firm substance). 

Generally, I apply a dry cure consisting of 1 1/2c raw sugar, 1 1/2c brown sugar, 1c salt & 6 tbs black pepper.  Apply liberally then wrap in plastic wrap. Leave overnight. Lightly rinse & pat dry then let air on wire rack in fridge for 4 hours to form pillicle (tacky shiney apoearance that helps with smoke absorbsion). Apply a light coat of cane syrup & place in smoker. Should take 45 minutes to 1 hour to reach 135 IT @ 170. Always enjoyable.

I use the seafood rack with NO water pan. Also, I cut the salmon into serving size portions prior to light coating of cane syrup before placeing in smoker. More surface area for smoke absorbsion & clean presentation (not torn up trying to cut after cooked).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:05:35 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
Aaron, my recipe/technique pretty similar to Walt's, except for:
  • I cut my salmon into chunks before dry brining. I like to maximize the pellicle on all edges.
  • I don't use black pepper in the cure. I just prefer the flavor profile more without it. If you do use black pepper, be very careful with it. It can overpower the salmon. Walt's recipe rinses it off as part of the cure, so that sounds fine. Some recipes call for sprinkling some on before smoking. That could be too much.
  • I thoroughly rinse the cure.
  • I don't coat with anything before smoking, but that's up to you as to how sweet you want the surface. Cane syrup, maple syrup, or honey is good. You can always coat some pieces and not others and see what you like. Some people coat after smoking instead of before.
  • I smoke at 170 instead of 185.
  • If you don't have seafood racks, frogmats work even better. If you have neither, then oil up your regular racks.
Here's my recipe:

Salmon - Hot Smoked

Basic Salmon Cure:
1 part Salt
4 parts Brown Sugar
(If you want, you can experiment with adding things like garlic powder, fresh dill, etc., but just salt and sugar is delicious.)

Make enough cure to thickly pack around salmon.

Cut Salmon filet into pieces approximately 3-4 inches wide. Skin-on and skin-off both work and are good. I prefer skin-off, because I get more surface area for the pellicle. A lot of people prefer skin-on.

Heavily pack the cure all around the salmon in a glass or food-safe dish, cover with plastic wrap, and cure for 8 hours. There will be a lot of liquid in the dish after curing. Thoroughly rinse cure off of salmon. Blot with paper towels. Dry on rack for about 3 hours to form a pellicle. If drying for more than 3 hours, then dry for 4-8 hours on a rack in the refrigerator.

Set smoker to 170 degrees. Smoke until Salmon internal temp is 135 degrees. Many recipes say internal temp should be 145, but I think the salmon gets too firm/dry. Cherry, maple or pecan wood is good. I usually use 2-3 ounces chips or thin strips.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
Aaron, can't wait to see your results!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
So, did a test batch last night to make sure I wouldn't dick it up on Christmas day. It was a rousing success. I used the method described on Amazing Ribs.  Wet brined.  1.2oz chunk of apple wood. It was amazing. I think the only thing I'm going to change is : I'm going to add a squirt of maple syrup on top with the brown sugar.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
Wow Aaron, looks great! Merry Christmas!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »
Looks perfect!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Jsorn

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 04:51:44 PM »
Looks awesome

schmoopyke

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:53:44 PM »
I prefer to smoke salmon @ 185 until an IT of 135 (it will be moist & flakey but still have a very nice smokey taste) useing 3oz pecan.  220 will cause the fat to ooze out & solidify (white firm substance). 

Generally, I apply a dry cure consisting of 1 1/2c raw sugar, 1 1/2c brown sugar, 1c salt & 6 tbs black pepper.  Apply liberally then wrap in plastic wrap. Leave overnight. Lightly rinse & pat dry then let air on wire rack in fridge for 4 hours to form pillicle (tacky shiney apoearance that helps with smoke absorbsion). Apply a light coat of cane syrup & place in smoker. Should take 45 minutes to 1 hour to reach 135 IT @ 185. Always enjoyable.

I use the seafood rack with NO water pan. Also, I cut the salmon into serving size portions prior to light coating of cane syrup before placeing in smoker. More surface area for smoke absorbsion & clean presentation (not torn up trying to cut after cooked).

schmoopyke

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »
I have a totally NUBE question.....Alot of these dry rubs make a huge amount of rub.  Is it possible to save any of the left over dry rub in a safe manner.  Im thinking vacuum seal. Does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks for any advice in advance.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »
Schmoo - I just make up the rub in a plastic container (Tupperware), put what I'm going to use in an old shaker bottle (I keep empties from store-bought rubs), and store the rest in the cabinet.  It keeps a long time, in the dry, cool cabinet.  No need to refrigerate.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
I have a totally NUBE question.....Alot of these dry rubs make a huge amount of rub.  Is it possible to save any of the left over dry rub in a safe manner.  Im thinking vacuum seal. Does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks for any advice in advance.

I make my rubs in mason jars. Makes it easy to dump everything in, then shake it up. Leftover rub remains in the mason jar, and gets put under vacuum with the FoodSaver. Keeps it fresh, and keeps the brown sugar in a lot of rubs from clumping due to moisture.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

Glock_21

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »

Salmon is one of the few things that I still do on the pellet grill.  Mainly because I usually have a pork butt or a brisket in the #3 at the same time. 

Sam's has some really good salmon fillets.  They are not frozen and the skin has been removed.  My process is very simple.  I rinse and dry the fillet.  I give it a good coat of brown sugar and then a little dusting of Traeger Salmon Shake.  A little goes a long way with the Salmon Shake.  The fillet then goes on the pellet grill for 2 - 2.5 hrs or until the fillet starts to "flake".  Sometimes I will douse it with some spray butter during the smoke. 
I love me some smoked salmon.

The Salmon Shake is also good on ribs.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »
I make my rubs in mason jars. Makes it easy to dump everything in, then shake it up. Leftover rub remains in the mason jar, and gets put under vacuum with the FoodSaver. Keeps it fresh, and keeps the brown sugar in a lot of rubs from clumping due to moisture.

Great idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »
Aaron, my recipe/technique pretty similar to Walt's, except for:
  • I cut my salmon into chunks before dry brining. I like to maximize the pellicle on all edges.
  • I don't use black pepper in the cure. I just prefer the flavor profile more without it. If you do use black pepper, be very careful with it. It can overpower the salmon. Walt's recipe rinses it off as part of the cure, so that sounds fine. Some recipes call for sprinkling some on before smoking. That could be too much.
  • I thoroughly rinse the cure.
  • I don't coat with anything before smoking, but that's up to you as to how sweet you want the surface. Cane syrup, maple syrup, or honey is good. You can always coat some pieces and not others and see what you like. Some people coat after smoking instead of before.
  • I smoke at 170 instead of 185.
  • If you don't have seafood racks, frogmats work even better. If you have neither, then oil up your regular racks.
Here's my recipe:

Salmon - Hot Smoked

Basic Salmon Cure:
1 part Salt
4 parts Brown Sugar
(If you want, you can experiment with adding things like garlic powder, fresh dill, etc., but just salt and sugar is delicious.)

Make enough cure to thickly pack around salmon.

Cut Salmon filet into pieces approximately 3-4 inches wide. Skin-on and skin-off both work and are good. I prefer skin-off, because I get more surface area for the pellicle. A lot of people prefer skin-on.

Heavily pack the cure all around the salmon in a glass or food-safe dish, cover with plastic wrap, and cure for 8 hours. There will be a lot of liquid in the dish after curing. Thoroughly rinse cure off of salmon. Blot with paper towels. Dry on rack for about 3 hours to form a pellicle. If drying for more than 3 hours, then dry for 4-8 hours on a rack in the refrigerator.

Set smoker to 170 degrees. Smoke until Salmon internal temp is 135 degrees. Many recipes say internal temp should be 145, but I think the salmon gets too firm/dry. Cherry, maple or pecan wood is good. I usually use 2-3 ounces chips or thin strips.

Kari, I used your method on my first smoked salmon on the #3.  In spite of a screwup on the schedule for the dry brine and drying in the fridge then waiting another day for the actual smoke it came out really good.

The only thing I really need now is a better source of salmon here in Oklahoma City.  What I used this time was some farm fed salmon filets from Sam's Club.  For a guy who is used to catching his own salmon on the Anvik River in Alaska this stuff turned out really great.  Can't imagine how it would do with some real Anvik River Salmon.

Thanks for the extra advice.
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!