Author Topic: Venison Roast  (Read 7709 times)

TexasSMK

Venison Roast
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
AUBER SETTINGS:
C-1 140 for .2
C-2 190 for .5
C-3 225 until 160 F

Used following brine from Oakridge BBQ at http://www.oakridgebbq.com/smoked-venison-roast/#axzz3YPsvlhHM

"-One quart water heated to a high simmer
-One cup Kosher salt
-One cup molasses
-One cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
-Four tablespoons Oakridge BBQ Venison rub ( I used Chupacabra Rub see below)
-Three quarts COLD water
Put one quart of the water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Add the rest of the ingredients to the hot water and stir to combine completely. Once the salt/sugar/bbq sauce/rub are fully dissolved, pour the mixture into the remaining 3 quarts of COLD water which should be in your large non-reactive stock pot. Let this mixture cool fully in the refrigerator before you add the meat."

Set roast in brine for 24 hours, removed and lightly rubbed with Chupacabra Rub from 2 Gringos http://www.2gringossalsa.com 
Let set in refrigerator overnight uncovered.
Added a little more rub then wrapped in BACON. 

I normally do not exceed 135F inside temp for venison, but my plan is to slice this roast into lunch meat so I smoked to a higher level of doneness.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:59:57 AM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Venison Roast
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
I normally do not exceed 135F inside temp for venison, but my plan is to slice this roast into lunch meat so I smoked to a higher level of doneness.   

Don't do it, stop at your normal 135. Rest it at room temp then thoroughly cool in the fridge to firm it up for slicing. It will make a better sandwich. Nice bacon weave, that should help with the moisture.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TexasSMK

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
Just read this--sitting at 156 now.  Will stop and let cool!!!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:15:41 PM »
I'm pretty sad, poor deer got killed twice.....
- Sigmund Freud

TexasSMK

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
Good news is the deer tasted incredible, very tender.  I cut a few thicker slices and had an early supper.  Sliced the rest into 1/8 inch slices--going to make some great sandwiches I think.  Here are some photos of the finished product. 

I did not weigh before starting--my estimate is 3-5 lbs at start. 
Took exactly six hours--pulled the roast at 156F inside temp per Pork Belly's urging.
Smoker and Auber worked great.  Ramped up slowly per program.  Initially it rose to 232F, over shot, but returned to 225 and held it steady for at least four hours.  Very happy with the system (Auber, wall mounted sensor, and my #2). 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
Now you done made me hungry Dale! Nice looking meal.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »
Glad it was still a little pink and not all gray/brown. Looks pretty good. Just an afterthought, next time you could cold smoke the roast without the bacon for a few hours then wrap in the bacon weave and put the hot smoke to it.
- Sigmund Freud

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »
Thanks Brian, I will do that.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »
Well, I think it looks might fine, Dale!  Looks like the bacon might have shielded it from over-cooking.  Bonus!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
I'm pretty sad, poor deer got killed twice.....

ROFL
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

JeffroTull

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 11:20:13 AM »
Just got my hind-quarter roast de-boned and in the brine. I’ll get some pics etc. during the process this week.

JeffroTull

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
Deboned a venison rear thigh and brined it for ~36h in 1c brown sugar, 1 pint maple syrup (from my trees this past spring), 2c kosher salt, and 2 tbsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne.

Rolled green onion, basil, Italian parsley, and oregano in middle. Trussed it up w/ butcher twine. Bacon weave over top.

Into my #2 at 225 over some leftover pecan chips and a small chunk of maple. Put Cabernet in the stream bath.

Got to IT of 135 just under 3.5h. Rested with a carry-over to 145 IT.

Pics below.

kona77

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 04:33:00 PM »
 Looks great.. Have smoked a couple of backstraps in my 3-D but have not tried a roast yet.. May have to give this a try.
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

TexasSMK

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Looks great!  I am currently out of venison, but...the season opens in a couple weeks here in Maryland!