Author Topic: 2 hour ramp up  (Read 6741 times)

tall paul

2 hour ramp up
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
Started my ramp up at 175 degrees and had intended to turn it up to 225 degrees after 45 minutes to an hour. Forgot and didn't turn it up for two hours. Very little smoke when I turned it up and even after 3 to 4 hours didn't get the amount of smoke that I usually do. Was using the same wood that I've used previously and probably use 1.5 to 2 times the amount wood that is recommended and I foil or "boat" it. The ambient temperature was around 50 to 60 and wind 5 to 7 mph. I was smoking a 9 lb butt, finished it at 205 after 16 hours. As expected, doesn't have as strong of a smokey flavor as I usually get. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what would you attribute this to? 
Model #2
Paul from OKC

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: 2 hour ramp up
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »
Do you use chunks, chips, or pellets? More heat don't necessarily equate to more smoke. The quality of the wood makes a difference which is why many folks around here use maine grilling woods or fruitawoodchunks. These woods have higher moisture content and produce some good quality smoke. I've only bought fruitawoodchunks so far but I've been happen with them. I get mine in "cookshack cut" chunks which allow for good smoke times and reasonable sizes for our smoke boxes.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:52:44 PM »
At 175 for 2 hours, you just likely charred the wood.  Once you turn it up at 175, the element spits power off and on to get to the desired temp and never really stays on long enough nor hot enough to get the kind of burn you want.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
Kind of funny that this post is right under Dave's with his boat in his sig.

But, you should NOT boat AND ramp. This is an either or proposition. Either boat or ramp, but not both.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
Gregg,
With the CA drought, I don't have any ramps in the water.   :'(

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 03:06:33 PM »
It has been pretty dry here in ND too. We need some snow or even rain real bad or it is going to be a bad year for our farmers, lakes, and yards.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »
I agree with Gregg, Paul - no need to ramp the temp if you foil.  Crank her straight to smoking temp and forget about it.  Dave's right, I believe - you charcoaled the wood instead of smoldering it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »
I've started using sardine or kipper cans to hold my wood.  It seems to prevent combustion during the initial heating period. 

If you want a longer smoking period, you can put water in one of the sardine cans to prevent it from smoking right away.  Put some wood directly in the box, some in a sardine can without water and some in a can with water and I can get pretty consistent smoke without heavy acrid smoke during the initial intense heat up.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
Good idea, Bruce!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jbauch357

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
Oh man, the kippered snack cans with water and a chunk of wood for smoke later in the process is a great idea.  Sounds like it's time for me to eat some smoked oysters out of the can, which are my preference over sardines or kipper snacks.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »
Oh man, the kippered snack cans with water and a chunk of wood for smoke later in the process is a great idea.  Sounds like it's time for me to eat some smoked oysters out of the can, which are my preference over sardines or kipper snacks.

I'd have to just buy a "sacrificial" can for just this - can't stand any of them! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
I'm curious how a chunk of wood sitting in a can of water would perform differently than one of the chunks just being presoaked for a while. 

jbauch357

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
I'm curious how a chunk of wood sitting in a can of water would perform differently than one of the chunks just being presoaked for a while.

It will take longer for the water in the pan to boil off, and while doing so it will also continually be steaming the block of wood sitting in the water tray.  I'd venture a guess that it could take a couple hours or more for the hunk of wood in the water tray to start smoking where something just pre-soaked would start smoking pretty quick.

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »
Why would you even want to do that? I am confused.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

jbauch357

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 01:49:59 AM »
Why would you even want to do that? I am confused.

Longer duration of lower concentration of smoke.  Toss on a few hunks bare in the fire box, and a couple in the sardine can bath.  You'll get a more prolonged regulated smoke and less of that initial heavy smoke followed by nothing.