Author Topic: Brine for Boston Butt  (Read 95863 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brine for Boston Butt
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »
Try them, Dave, then go ahead and reinvent all you like - won't hurt my feelings a bit!  Brining is just like any other prep; we all have our own preferences on spices and flavorings.  These work for me, but might not for everyone.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
I realized that I had this in my brined butt post, but neglected to put the recipe in the brine section.

1 gallon water
1 1/8 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Instacure #1 pink curing salt (optional)

Put 1/3 of the water in a pan large enough to hold 1 gallon.  Add the other ingredients, and heat on medium to simmer the brine.  The idea is to melt all the salt and sugar, and help blend some of those spices into the liquid.  I usually heat for 15-20 minutes, never bringing to a boil.  Stir regularly.

Once the brine is blended, remove from heat and add the rest of the water in the form of ice cubes.  I have a large sauce pan that has 1 gallon marked on the side, so I know the level - makes this much easier.  This will immediately cool the brine.  Once all the ice melts, I place the brine in the fridge to get cold.  I don't take any chances by putting the meat in a brine that isn't below 40-degrees.  Once the brine has chilled, place the pork butt in the brine.  Let it brine for 12-13 hours.

After brining, rinse well, coat in yellow mustard and rub, and you're ready for the smoker!  I know there are some that say you should never brine a pork butt, but you'll find it to be the most moist and flavorful pulled pork you'll ever have!  Let me know if you have any improvements or variations!

I plan on brining a couple of butts tomorrow. Later this morning now that it's after 4:30am. Anyway, hate to sound like an idiot, but in the recipe for the brine, you say to use a gallon of water as the first ingredient, but to only use 1/3 of it to mix the other ingredients and heat them up. Then to make up the rest of the gallon with ice. This is confusing to me, sadly. Maybe because it's so stinking late and I need sleep. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

DivotMaker

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »
Scott, you use a gallon of water, total.  But, since you heat the ingredients, only use enough water to get them dissolved.  Adding the rest, in ice, quickly cools the brine so you can add the meat.  I have a 1 gallon mark on the pan I use, so I add ice until I hit the gallon mark!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2016, 01:29:52 AM »
Scott, you use a gallon of water, total.  But, since you heat the ingredients, only use enough water to get them dissolved.  Adding the rest, in ice, quickly cools the brine so you can add the meat.  I have a 1 gallon mark on the pan I use, so I add ice until I hit the gallon mark!
Thank you!! :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
I love brining. I can't do butts w/o it anymore :-)
Has anyone done a cost calculation on DM's brine?  Just wondering approx how much it's costing to brine a butt as I'm getting more requests to smoke stuff for friends.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
@divotmaker Wondering if you make up a couple gallons of the brine to keep in the fridge? I love using it, but would like to make up 4-5 gallons at a time for use at a later date ... in keeping with the lazyQ theme :)
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »
@divotmaker Wondering if you make up a couple gallons of the brine to keep in the fridge? I love using it, but would like to make up 4-5 gallons at a time for use at a later date ... in keeping with the lazyQ theme :)

Jason, if I'm going to be using it in the next week or so, I will (and store it in empty gallon milk jugs).  I'm sure it would keep longer, I just need the fridge real estate, so I only do it if I have more brining in store!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »
Cool. I have tons of extra fridge space :-)
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

PigPen68

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
I usually use this brine for one pack of the Costco deboned pork butts with great success. I am wondering if I do two packs would I just double all the ingredients including the water while keeping the brine time at 12 hrs.  I attached a photo of one pack in the brine
Dana from DC
SI 3D
Weber Genesis S330
Mechanical Engineer
USMC 00-04

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »
If you double the amount of meat you have to double the other ingredients. The amount of time never changes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

PigPen68

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2018, 06:58:34 PM »
Pork Belly

Thanks for the help I figured that was the case but I wanted to check before I had 30+ lbs. of meat in the brine
Dana from DC
SI 3D
Weber Genesis S330
Mechanical Engineer
USMC 00-04

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2018, 01:04:00 AM »
So it seems 1 gallon is ok for 2 10lb butts, but would 1 gal still work ok for 3 butts provided all three are submerged? Just wondering at what point there are not enough ingredients in the brine to be absorbed well. I'm getting ready to do 12 butts and pondering how much brine I need to make :-)
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

tpcdelisle

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
Well Tony, it’s my turn to try this brine of yours. It sure smells good.  I’ll get it in the smoker at about 4-5am for tomorrow night’s feast. Like many others, I’ve brined lots of birds but never a pork butt.  I’m looking forward to it and I’ll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe. 👍🐽
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines