Author Topic: christmas beef tenderloin  (Read 2750 times)

coyotesdead

christmas beef tenderloin
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
made two  6 lb beef tenderloins for xmas. I bought prime meat. Used the recipe from Myron Mixon's smoking book. Best tenderloin I have ever had. No left overs. took about 2.5 hours. Buy the time the temp got to 200 the meat was at 140. Came out perfect.

rickne

Re: christmas beef tenderloin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »
Great to hear!!!  I did a pair of them too....  a bit smaller, in the 4-5lb range each.

Here was my write up...  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1252.0

I winged it a little.  Did a little research and combined it with a little of my own twisted logic.

I agree, they were amazing.  I didn't do any fancy prep work.  Took them out and washed them 2 hours prior to cooking.  Generously sprinkled them with a general salt/pepper/garlic/onion powders mix, coated them with olive oil, sprinkled again, buttered them up (like toast) just before throwing them on the grill and searing them at a high temp for about 8 minutes (2 minutes per side).  Then  threw them on the smoker, set it at 300 degrees (with auber), and popped a chunk of oak in the smoke box.  Internal temp was about 54 degrees when I put them in the smoker.  I think they were only in there for 30-45 minutes before they hit 125 internal temps.  They rested for 20-30 minutes (foil laid over them) before cutting into them.

They were delicious though.  I will want to do those again and I'm sure the family will not object.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Sounds like two loin success stories! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:36:41 PM »
wow I bet those were great. glad to hear success
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

coyotesdead

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
great idea I will sear it on the grill first at a high temp. Its my favorite cut of beef