Author Topic: Louisiana Smokin  (Read 2522 times)

Walt

Louisiana Smokin
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
As per Divot's request, here goes.  I'm a retired ship Captain /ship Pilot.  Love to cook, fish & hunt. Tried smokin in my ducane grill but was such a hassle since it isn't sealed well.  Had to constantly add wood.  That's when I started looking for a smoker that required very little attention, was durable & produced quality Q.  Much like many of you, after exhaustive research, I narrowed it down to the cookshack, Smokin Tex & the SI.  Settled on the SI & do not regret it. My folks gave me the #2 a few days early for Christmas so I could season, make a test run and then smoke dinner for the entire fimily.  The family loved the ribs & pulled pork.  I love the Si#2.  With the right prep, temp & timing these smokers really do turn out great Q.

I have enjoyed the forum & have learned a great deal from reading through it.  Thank you all for this information.

Does anyone know if a QUALITY dual thermometer is made that can be monitored via android phone?

Also, how do you attach pictures.  When using the below attachments button is gives a camera option but I can't access picture library? 
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

Re: Louisiana Smokin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
Great to learn a little more about you Walt.  You are a lucky man to be retired and still have your folks around.  Cherish those moments and memorys.

I'm looking forward to your "Cajun spin" on things.  I've always been a bit fascinated by the flavors that come out of the Bayou.

As for pictures...  Just hit the plus sign by attachments and about an inch below that, you will shee "Attached:" and a button labeled CHOOSE FILE.  Click it and it should pop up a window for your pictures file.  If not, you should be able to navigate from there.  Select your picture and hit post....  or "more attachments" if you want more pictures.

I haven't found an Android based thermometer set up, but I honestly haven't looked that hard.  I'm pretty happy with my Auber and Maverick combo.

Attached a picture just so that I could describe the process of posting one.  It's me and my old dog on a great day in South Dakota.  There were 7 of us total so that picture represents our limit.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Walt

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
Rick,
Looks like a great hunt!  For whatever reason,  I can't find any picture files in any of the options when I use the "choose file" button.  Camera, camcorder, recorder & music are the only options available.  The camera option doesn't allow me to navigate to it either.  Oh well, I'm sure it must be me.

Most of our food down here is spicy but not hot (or not real hot).  The key is the abundance of fresh protiens & vegetables.  I don't remember the last can I've opened.

I am lucky, both my wife's parents & mine are stilll with us & live local.  My daughter loves it.

Thanks aigin.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »
Hey Walt, I posted a little tutorial on how to post pics here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1272.0

Hope it helps!  Let me know if you have questions that I didn't answer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
igrill makes some Android/iPhone based bluetooth thermometers but they are kinda spendy for what they do and are limited to the distance of bluetooth

http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2