Author Topic: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork  (Read 235951 times)

GarthMN

Re: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
Thanks a million!
Garth from Minneapolis
SI Model #1

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
Trying this today. I'm glad I started my 2 9lb butts at 1130 last night.  I'm 16 hours in and the meat is at 188 IT.  I was cooking at 225 up until an hour ago then I bumped it up to 235.  Smells awesome but I hope I'm not drying it out with this long time.
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »
If you're at 188, you're there.  I'd double-wrap in HD foil and rest it in the cooler for an hour or 2 and call it "dinner time!"  No need to go higher on a Boston butt.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
Thanks Tony.  They're at 191 now and I'm heading out to pull them off and foil for the rest period. 
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
Garth, this sounds like my first Butt experience yesterday.  I put my 5 1/2 lb Boston Butt on at 8:15 am Sat. and by 7:15 pm. the internal temp. was 179.  It stalled around 170 and was going up approximately 1 degree ever 20 min.  I'll post the entire process as soon as I can.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

GarthMN

« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Good deal Suzie!  I've made butts before, but never had any go down over 10 degrees during the 'stall.'  My best guess is that this was a pretty fatty cut, even for a pork butt, and that caused the temp drop.  Who knows.  All that matters is that it turned out tasty - pictures next time.  Hope yours was delicious!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:39:55 PM by GarthMN »
Garth from Minneapolis
SI Model #1

Bradlee

« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
Tried the brined pork butt yesterday and it came out great. Used a stock pot for the overnight brine with a 5.5 lb butt and fresh oak chunks my dad cut for me (nice to have a woodworker in the family.) A 6.5 hour cook and another 1.5 hours in foil produced the goods. Will definitely do again. 
Brad from Wilmington
Green Egg
Smokin' It #1

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
Benjamin Franklin

DivotMaker

« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
Great to hear, Brad!  One thing I would recommend, though, is to use a non-reactive vessel for the brine (plastic, glass or porcelain-coated stock pot).  The vinegar will react with aluminum or stainless steel.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

40 caliber

« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2016, 10:58:42 PM »
Do people use a water pan with the pork butt when you brine? or is the brine enough moisture?
I would like a good bark
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2016, 05:04:01 PM »
Do people use a water pan with the pork butt when you brine? or is the brine enough moisture?
I would like a good bark

I always use a water pan on butts.  I use apple juice in it; not for flavoring the meat, but because it smells SO good while it's cooking!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2016, 06:59:12 PM »
I always use either a beer/apple juice water pan and ALWAYS get nice chewy flavorful bark.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

prudentsmoker

« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
Just made this for my wife's coworker's retirement party and once again stole the show. Many thanks to Tony. I think someone should do something similar for brisket and chicken. It would be great for newcomers and seasoned veterans alike.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »
Just made this for my wife's coworker's retirement party and once again stole the show. Many thanks to Tony. I think someone should do something similar for brisket and chicken. It would be great for newcomers and seasoned veterans alike.

Thank you, for the kind comment!!  I use the same brine for brisket!  Here's my poultry brine:

DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine

Enjoy!
Tony from NW Arkansas

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
Is the pink curing salt strictly for the "pink ring" or does it contribute to the flavor?  I'm making my first one and had to make the brine with everything but the pink curing salt (don't have).  Don't really care about the lack of a ring but is it important otherwise?  If I HAD to, I could go and buy it - assuming most grocery stores in San Diego carry it?

My pork "shoulder" is 5# - butcher said they are "interchangeable" (butt vs. shoulder) and the same, as far as he is concerned (I'm not convinced from the remarks here).  To eat at 6:30'ish tomorrow night (Monday), what time should I put it in the smoker?  I DON'T have an auger yet so I WILL have to use my thermometer with the wire to read the meat temp.  Perhaps I should insert this wire & probe thru the hole so I don't have to open the door?  But, will that "melt" the plastic base that encases the temp. read-out (or affect the temp. electronics) if it sits on top of smoker? 

ETA:  I would like the nat'l drippings from the brined & seasoned meat to use to pour over the pulled pork.  Can I smoke in an alum. pan either entirely or perhaps when it's half-way done?  If so, at what point can I put into a pan so the drippings accumulate? 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:22:21 PM by bbqnewbie »
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »
Kinda disappointed I didn't hear from anyone in 24 hours - could've used the advice ... guess everyone's busy.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego