Author Topic: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork  (Read 235965 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
There are instructions on the Smokin-It site:

Go to the following link:
http://www.smokin-it.com/Articles.asp?ID=251

And then click the "Heat controller troubleshooting / Adjustment Instructions" document.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bubbabob

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
Thanks Greg. That should help a lot!
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MikeS

« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »
I followed this recipe last week.  I followed the entire recipe except that I used Costco Pork Barrel Rub All-American.  Turned out fantastic - all my guests were amazed at how tender and moist it was.  I highly recommend this method.  I put a pig shoulder on at midnight and it was done at 3pm at 200 degrees.  Let it rest 30 minutes.

I'm getting ready to put another one on right now ;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »
Thanks Mike!!  Glad you liked it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
9 1/2 bone-in $0.98 per lb grocery store Boston Butt brined 15 hours rubbed with home grown Cajun spices using an apple / pecan combination model 3 set at 230* for 10 hours & perfect results today.
Appreciate all the recipes & advice - I read & use.
J. French

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
Cant beat that price!  Nice knife set:)

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Dockmaster

« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
Thanks for the brine recipe, Tony.  I've brined turkeys & chicken but just used plane saltwater.  My wife brined pork chops and added a little maple syrup to the brine and it was good.  Will try your recipe my next butt, probably shortly after Thanksgiving.  Are those "Bear Claws" in your photo?  Do they work as good as they say?  Thanks a lot.
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

DivotMaker

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »
Hey Steve, hope you like the butt brine!  Yep, bear claws in the photo.  I love them - well-worth the money!
Tony from NW Arkansas

anesdoc

« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »
I have an 8 lb pork butt which was prepped with DM's Pork Butt Brine in the SI3.  When I was trimming, there was a deep layer of connective tissue nearly separating the butt, so I placed the Auber PID temp probe in the bone end, being careful not to touch the bone.  I had a Maverick handy so I stuck one probe in the other end. 
It's currently stalled at 169 deg (9 1/2 hours) according to the Maverick.  However, I noticed a 12 point difference in temp between the two ends of this small butt.  Because I am using the Auber to automatically decrease the SI3 to 140 deg after an internal temp of 193, I felt I needed to move the probe from the bone end.  While opening (I really didn't want to) I also placed my second Maverick probe back in the bone end.
To recap, I now have the Auber temp probe and a Maverick probe in one end (reading 169 and 170 deg - 1 degree difference) and a second Maverick probe in the bone end which is reading 156 deg.  Should I go with the non bone end since this is in the range of the stall described by others?
TJ from Johnston Co, NC
Smokin-It 3, Auber PID with Wall mounted Sensor

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »
TJ, center of the thickest part of the meat.  The bone is just plain interference, stay away. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »
TJ, center of the thickest part of the meat.  The bone is just plain interference, stay away.

+1!  Bone = bad.  Meat = Great! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

anesdoc

« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
I was surprised that there was more than 20 degree difference between the two ends by the time the "meat" end reached 191 degrees.
TJ from Johnston Co, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2015, 09:32:10 PM »
Yeah, TJ, the bone end gets hotter, faster.  I think the bone serves as a heat conductor into the meat.  But, that also makes the whole thing cook more evenly.  Bone-in meat always seems to cook better, imo.
Tony from NW Arkansas

anesdoc

« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
It was shy of that magical 8 lbs (but it was the largest available at the grocery store) so I wasn't too surprised that it took 16 hours (2 hrs per pound) to get to 191 deg.  Was shooting for 193 but I wanted to allow enough time to rest.  Double wrapped in foil and rested for 90 min.  Got a little color from a decent smoke ring thanks to the Instacure.  Great comments from the family about the moist and tender meat.  This will become one of my smoking staples!
TJ from Johnston Co, NC