Author Topic: ice cream  (Read 6144 times)

pigsmoke

ice cream
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
Nothing feels better on the tongue after a nice meal of barbecue than ice cream, am I right about that?
And nothing's better than homemade ice cream.
Here's a handy gadget for any cook to keep around the kitchen.

Get the kind with the built in freezer unit instead of the kind where you have to pre-freeze a bowl.

Ice cream is usually made from a base that is a stirred custard, called a crème anglaise, or English cream.
Any pastry cook worth their salt has a bag full of custard, cream, and sauce recipes.
Here's my own personal formula I made up for using in the Cuisinart.

--- Crème Anglaise ---
2 cups heavy cream
1 3/4 cups half and half
1 vanilla bean, split and scrapped
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs vanilla extract

Scald dairy with half the sugar in medium saucepan
Whisk eggs and remaining sugar together until smooth
Temper the eggs with the dairy
Cook over moderate heat until nappe
Finish with vanilla and salt, pass through chinois
Cool in ice bath stirring occasionally to prevent skin from forming
Leave in refrigerator overnite to ripen

> scald means heat the dairy gently until it just begins to let off steam
> nappe means the custard will coat the back of a spoon, about 180 F if your using a thermometer
> a chinois is a fine mesh strainer, in a fine dining establishment you would want to remove any lumps in your custard. If you do it right, you can leave this step out at home.
> vanilla is nice, but here are some variations
>> chocolate - while the custard is hot, stir in about 6oz of chocolate chips or pestoles. if your using chunk chocolate chop it up small, leave out the vanilla bean, let the chocolate melt in the warm custard and then whisk it smooth before putting it in the ice bath
>> chocolate chip mint - either make a mint infusion which can be tricky to get just right, or more simply, get chocolate mint chips. I found a bag of Ande's mints in miniature size for putting in cookies they made an excellent chocolate mint ice cream, or use a mint extract to flavor your chocolate custard

...enjoy

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: ice cream
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
Absolutely PS!  In the South, barbecue and ice cream go together like beans and cornbread!  ;D   Would you mind doing a review/evaluation on that Cuisinart unit in the "gadgets" section?  There aren't any rules that say our gadgets have to be about BBQ only - especially when we're talking ice cream!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!