Author Topic: How low and long can you go?  (Read 2174 times)

Horsepowerfarm

• 3 is my favorite number.
How low and long can you go?
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
How long and at what temp for 6 racks of babyback ribs? As a former charcoal smoker I have always preferred a longer lower heat smoke on ribs. This will be my "virgin" effort.

Any advise for me?
Winslow
Austin, Texas
Smokem' if you got 'em!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: How low and long can you go?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »
Well, with baby backs I actually sneak closer to 250 where spares for me do best at 225.  Anything within this range will yield very good finished product with regard to taste, texture, and level of smoke.

Remember that you're not dealing with tough or overly fatty meat with baby backs so you're not looking for overly long smokes ... you want them in that window.  I'm not an advocate of foiling in the Smokin-It but you can certainly use the 2-2-1 (or 3-2-1 for spares) and have outstanding pork; I think the moist nature of these chambers yields a great product without the benefit of a foil crutch ... but your mileage may vary.

Apple or cherry are my favorite woods for this prep; with baby backs I wouldn't do but 3 oz or so.

Be sure to post pics of your inaugural smoke!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

Re: How low and long can you go?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:07 AM »
Horse
Joe is spot on.  I am a foiler.  I set the temp at between a little past the 5 in 225.  3oz of cherry wood. For baby backs, I follow 2-2.  I have found the last hour it not needed due to the moisture in the smoker.  I foil with 1/4 cup of apple juice and honey.  For spares, some process except 3-2.  My family like to add BBQ sauce on the side.  Hope this helps. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?