Author Topic: Sweet Heat Sticky Baby Back Ribs  (Read 2560 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Sweet Heat Sticky Baby Back Ribs
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
Day 1 of a 3 day smoke session.  Tonight's agenda is a single rack of baby back ribs; there were no decent spares to be found so I picked these up on a whim since they seemed unusually meaty.

I mixed up my usual process a bit and I was VERY happy with the results.  As per usual, a quick rinse and wipe down, followed by the removal of the silver skin ... I got lucky and it came off in a single sheet so I take that as a good omen.

I applied a layer of French's Yellow Mustard but I also added about an equal amount of honey, which formed a very sticky binding layer.  Follow that with a healthy does of my Sweet Heat Pork Rub and I wrapped it overnight in plastic and refrigerated.

Twelve hours later, it went in the smoker with Ms. Lilly's Flavor Savor filled with Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale, loaded up 3 oz. of apple wood and set it to 225, and let them go unwrapped four five hours.

The pull back on the bones was solid at five hours on the dot so they got a quick slather of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce, a run under the broiler to caramelize the sauce, and I've got a decent late dinner.

They were cooked spot on, extremely moist but with a little bite and a decent thin bark ... a little stickier than normal, however.  The heat of the Sweet Heat Pork Rub was nicely offset by the honey binding agent and the honey bbq sauce.  Overall, this one's definitely a keeper!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:22:08 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sweet Heat Sticky Baby Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »
Nice looking rack, Joe!  Pretty unique idea - mixing honey with the mustard!  If those tasted as good as they look, you definitely have a winner!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Spence

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:31:54 PM »
Way to go Joe.  Tried my first meatloaf tonight with mixed results.  Maybe it's just the newness of the dish prep. 
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
Spence, can you update your original meatloaf thread with what happened and some pics?  Maybe we can get the braintrust working on this ...  ;)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!