Author Topic: 2nd try at baby backs!  (Read 2445 times)

gloksrule

• Bacon defines me,,Ronnie from OKC,OK
2nd try at baby backs!
« on: July 28, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »
Hey all, gonna try some baby backs again, this time I used apple wood,and mustard as a binder and used more rub,, used a rub from "head country" that my friend raves about,, smoke 5 hours at 225 with last hour foiled,, is the 2-2-1 method close to this? Or it's sprayed with juice? I followed the 5hr and don't open smoker on last smoke, was good but could use something ,,,, thanks all for tips, criticism,suggestions;)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: 2nd try at baby backs!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
The 2-2-1 method is two hours unfoiled, followed by two hours foiled (with a little apple juice in the foil to create a moist environment), followed by an hour unfoiled.

Your prep sounds solid, but I haven't tried the 4-1 method you're considering.  Let us know how it works!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
I think since they are back ribs go 30 minutes in foil followed by saucing em and leaving them uncovered in the grill for 30 minutes more to set up the sauce........

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:36 PM »
I know this may seem a little bizarre, but if you have anybody eating that is sensitive to MSG, watch the Head Country rub (pretty sure it has it in it).  I love it, but my wife gets migrane headaches, and a big trigger for migranes is MSG.  I have to be really careful about looking at labels.  Obviously, most people don't get them, but I thought I'd throw this out there.  You can create some really great rubs without MSG, so I don't know why some of the commercial makers include it (other than it's a "flavor enhancer" and is cheap).  Turns out, a lot more people than you think are sensitive to it. 

This public service announcement has been brought to by... ;) ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!