Author Topic: My first overnight smoke!  (Read 8442 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: My first overnight smoke!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
Congrats, lankbo!  Looks great!  Welcome to the party, and thanks for posting some pics!  Do a post in the "Introductions" section when you have time - let everyone know who you are!

I've had good luck with picnic cuts as well, but have come to prefer a true Boston butt (pork shoulder).  The picnic cut is the lower part of the leg (near the knee), whereas the shoulder (Boston butt) is higher, near the shoulder.  I find the shape more suited to smoking for consistent results.  The picnic cuts can tend to be a bit pointed, in my experience.  I also find the meat closer to the shoulder is a little darker, and tends to remain more moist than the meat lower in the leg.  Just my thoughts...take them for what they're worth. ;)

All in all, though, any of these cuts are great in a Smokin-It!  You can't hardly fail with a Boston or a picnic!  Let us know what you used for a rub and sauce!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Lankbo

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
Will definately do the Introduction, as for the rubs I bought Butt Rub for one which has a bit more spice the other was a little sweeter and was Brown Sugar, Garlic and Onion Porwder, little paprika, cumin, cayenne, and cocoa powder.  As for the injection it was a friends recipe that was basically Scott;s Barbacue and Carolina Treet with some coca cola, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and molases.  Both were very good and will definately take your advice and try the Boston Butt next time..any advise will be taken and tried here, my buddy and I are going to try ribs and chicken this week I think...wish me luck.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »
Good luck with the ribs & chicken, although "luck" doesn't really seem like a requirement with these little babies! ;)
Lots of good posts here about ribs.  Consensus seems to be just do them unwrapped; the Smokin-It units are a sealed environment, and you just don't get the drying-effect you do with other smokers.  You'll also find some good chicken recipes, although some of us have different opinions about the "beer can" method!  All good, though!  You'll find a pretty healthy exchange of techniques and ideas here.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 10:51:14 PM »
I have also looked at the VacMaster as well as others of a similar style but to date, my old machine just keeps chugging along.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus