Author Topic: My first overnight smoke!  (Read 8441 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
My first overnight smoke!
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:10:17 AM »
Getting ready to throw an 8 lb butt into the #1 for my first overnight cook!  I prepped with Joe's pork injection (first butt injection), but substituted Crystal hot sauce for sriracha 'cause it's what I had on-hand. :D

It should take about 13 hours to cook an unwrapped butt @ 225, so we'll be pulling pork about 2 pm tomorrow (after a rest).  My mouth's watering already!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

Re: My first overnight smoke!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:34:25 AM »
The little beauty is in the cooker!  I'm a little nervous, but I know how my baby performs!  This is also my first smoke on a previously-frozen butt.  I had one in the freezer, vacuum-packed, so I thawed it since Monday in the fridge. IT is still at 32, so a 4-day thaw has just barely got it to freezing!  I'll let y'all know how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:02:48 AM »
"Fortune favors the bold".

And Crystal Hot Sauce ... soooooo much better than Tabasco.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:09:17 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »
Tony
Good luck, when I did my overnight is was pure pleasure when the butt was complete. You will have a smile from ear to ear.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »
Well, I was quite surprised this morning.  Up late, so I slept-in a bit...didn't check the smoker until almost 7 am (7:45 into the cook); my butt was done!  I wasn't expecting that, as the last 8 lb butt I did took almost 13 hours!  This butt was a little flatter than usual, and the temp outside last night was a humid 65-degrees.  I guess the #1 operates very efficiently in those conditions!  I figured 1 1/2 hours per pound, but it took 1 hour per.  Hmmm. 

I have it triple-wrapped in foil, holding in the smoker @ 140-degrees until lunch time.  Got that tip from Smoke.  I've held meat for 2-3 hours like that with no problem, but haven't held any for 5 hours - we'll see how it turns out!  I was very moist and tender when I transferred it to the foil, and was easily pulling away from the bone.

Hope we can wait until lunchtime! :P :P   I'll let you know how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
About 10:30, the family said they couldn't take it anymore!  It's time for brunch, right? ;)   Pulled the butt from it's hold in the smoker, and tore into it.  I can tell a definite difference in the taste of the meat deep inside with the injection method - wow!  Very moist & tender!  Probably my best pork butt to date!

To recap: injected about 6:30 yesterday evening, wrapped in fridge until 11 pm.  Got the smoker ready (5-6 oz of peach and hickory, beer in the water pan).  Coated the butt with a mixture of olive oil and yellow mustard (not enough mustard for the job, so I improvised).  Applied the rub, massaged it until nice and wet.  In the smoker at 11:15 pm.  No opening, spritzing, or anything - went to bed.  7 am - butt is at 200 internal.  Removed and triple-wrapped in foil, put back in smoker @ 140 degrees.  After 3 1/2 hours hold, removed and devoured.  Absolutely no loss of moisture, or over-cooking by holding in smoker!
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
Looks tasty.  Since I'm sure you have plenty of leftovers, a neat modification is to put your sandwich ready lump of pork and sauce on tinfoil and broil it in the oven a bit to let the sugars in the sauce caramelize and then put it on the bun.  Also, if you have any handy try it on garlic Texas toast ... it will change your life.   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »
Good tips, Joe!  I also like to make "filled subs;" I take some fresh hoagie buns, hollow-out some of the bread (to make more room), lightly butter the inside of the tops and bottoms, toast them in the broiler for a few minutes.  I then add the warmed meat, sauce, and provolone cheese to the bottoms of the hoagie rolls and broil them to melt the cheese.  Slap the top on and you have a helluva sammie!  Creativity is a cool thing!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Spresso

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
Tony,   all great pictures!
I'm sure it tasted just as great!
Glad the freezing did not effect the taste,  I have only done beef ribs from frozen meat out of necessity. I might not be so rigid n the future  :D

Left over PP tip:
make  shepherds pie with it!
too awesome if you like that sort of thing!

Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
Tony,   all great pictures!
I'm sure it tasted just as great!
Glad the freezing did not effect the taste,  I have only done beef ribs from frozen meat out of necessity. I might not be so rigid n the future  :D

Left over PP tip:
make  shepherds pie with it!
too awesome if you like that sort of thing!

Thanks, Zed.  The only way I'll use frozen meat is if has been properly vacuum-sealed.  I use a FoodSaver Professional III, but it's no longer available.  Joe has a nice review on the ARY VacMaster in the gadgets section, if you're considering a vacuum system.  IMO, vacuum sealing is the ONLY way to freeze meat...it literally comes out like the day it was bought!
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I also have that older Food Saver; bought is from Cabella's years ago.  Here is their current offering in the "high end" area:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Vacuum-Sealers%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104668380/FoodSaver-Gamesaver-Titanium-15-Dual-Pump-Vacuum-Sealer/1426569.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101302%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104798880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104798880%3Bcat104668380

They also have others that are less as well as more expensive.

We vacuum our smoked food and freeze for use later (minus sauce). A table spoon or two of water in a lidded pot and the thawed meat can be reheated to perfection, and then a little honey bbq sauce.  Pretty convenient.  I haven't tried the boiling method of reheating but I suppose that would work.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gloksrule

• Bacon defines me,,Ronnie from OKC,OK
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »
That sounds awesome,, u answered many questions I had also

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
Thanks, Sarge!  I hadn't seen that model of the gamesaver yet.  It wasn't on their website when I was checking current availability on the Professional.  That looks bad-a$$!  I think I've found my upgrade when the pro kicks the bucket!
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
I love the 15" sealing bar on that thing, Sarge ... but that's a steep price for an external vacuum machine.

If/when I replace my current one, I'm going after this baby:

http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Portable-Chamber-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B003YE8FG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375036111&sr=8-1&keywords=chamber+sealer

The ability to seal liquids as well as meats, cheeses, etc. would make we want to drop a few extra bucks and go whole hog.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:32:11 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX

Lankbo

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »
My first overnight smoke as well and first one ever...two picnic shoulders one 10 pounds second 8 pounds and turned out really awesome injected and rubbed 16 hours at 200 degrees.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:21:47 PM by Lankbo »