Author Topic: Jerky Dryer  (Read 1335 times)

Jhrol2862

Jerky Dryer
« on: May 31, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
Has anyone used the James Jerky Dryer in the 4D?  Does the fan have adjustable speeds?
John from Indiana

barelfly

Re: Jerky Dryer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »
Many on the board have made their own fan using a computer fan, me included. There are a few threads on the board that talk about it and provide instructions on the build process. For me, I have not made jerky, so I can’t say about that, but it has helped on low temp smokes like salmon and sausage.

Here’s one thread on it, there are a few others as well.

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6828.0

That said, I have a 3D so a bit smaller than the 4. You could find a computer fan a bit bigger to pull the air if needed.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Jhrol2862

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
Thanks.  How does the fan help with sausage and salmon?  Do you only use the fan after the meat has enough smoke?
John from Indiana

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »
I smoke with a low temp and try to keep the box cooler for salmon, so it can be a bit harder to get the smoke going like that. The fan pulls the air and helps with the smoke to continue. When it’s cold outside it’s not as hard to maintain a lower temp and longer smoke. But what I normally do is feather the on/off switch and use the fan to keep the air circulating to try and pull the smoke. I don’t want to cook the meat quick, so low temp, but need smoke. I’ll also use chips for these types of cooks, so air circulation helps with the fan.

And for the sausage (talking homemade sausage) it’s even more important so you don’t melt the fat. So same process as above. It was a cheap investment for me and has worked well. I do have a few eye of round in the freezer I should try to make jerky out of.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Jhrol2862

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:17:18 PM »
Thanks.  I ordered the jerky dryer today.
John from Indiana