Author Topic: Making my first run at Canadian Bacon.  (Read 1249 times)

Danbow

Making my first run at Canadian Bacon.
« on: February 21, 2021, 12:33:03 AM »
 I've done my share of home cured bacon using Michael Ruhlman's cure recipe. Very savory and tasty, so I thought I would give it a try curing the loin.

I decided I was going to do a variation of Pop's that Tony posted some time back. I think he got from showmesmoke on here. I'm following the directions except that I added a tbsp of coarse black pepper, black strap molasses and 4 bay leaves in my brine. I just put it in after cooling all day. I'm a little disapointed when I looked for my injector that I could not find the needle and adapter. I guess my biggest question is do I really need to inject it if it's going to brine for 12 days?

I'll post pictures after it comes out of the brine and as I do the smoke. Any input on the above issue about not injecting is welcome.   Danny
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

Norwester

Re: Making my first run at Canadian Bacon.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 06:05:33 AM »
It depends on the thickness of the loin. Pops recipe says that if its thicker than 4 inches that it requires injecting. He said that 2-4 inches may require injecting. I've done some that were 3 inches+ without injecting but I like to cure for 3 weeks.

{copied from Pops instructions}

"Refrigerate 7 to 30 days, depending on thickness of meat.

Up to 2 inches, 7-10 days.

2 - 4 inches, 5 - 17 days, may require injecting to cure from the inside-out as well as from the outside-in.

4 inches and larger. 17 - 30 days, requires injecting.

Injecting - use a Morton's injection 4 oz. manual injection pump with the Broadcast needle."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:07:24 AM by Norwester »
Jeff from central Oregon