Author Topic: External Probe Cleaning?  (Read 1397 times)

zorian

External Probe Cleaning?
« on: December 08, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
How do you all clean your external probes? I have a WiFi 3 and was wondering. Also I have some grease stains from the smoker hole I'm guessing from combustion? What do you use to clean those off? Thanks first time user and love it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:14:06 PM by zorian »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: External Probe Cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
Sorry I missed this.  If the probe has some stuck bits of meat on it, wrap the probe in a damp paper towel. Just the part that has the stuck bits and I mean damp, not wet. As for washing, I damp paper towel with a drop of dish soap and then rinsed with a wetter towel and dried off.  Very important to not get the area where the wires enter wet.  And do not soak your probe.

As for the staining, just smoke stain and its components.  Sort of like creosote and ugly but does no harm. I just leave mine alone.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Paul B

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
I've always use an sos pad.  Haven't had any problems with the probes, and yes keep wire/probe junction dry.
I've also found if I get lazy and leave probes for a week or so(Florida and humidity), probes clean up a lot eaiser!!!  Doesn't happen very often though.

Paul B

OldeSmoker

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 12:40:45 AM »
I use Mr Clean, Clean Freak spray cleaner and a microfiber cleaning cloth. For around the smokestack hole on top I spray the black stain around the hole after each smoke. I let the cleaner soak on the smoke particulates for five or so minutes and it wipes off fairly easy. Once in awhile I may need to spray a second time but it doesn’t take much elbow grease to remove it. For the probes I wet the cloth with the same cleaner and give the probes and the cable a good wipe up and down a time or two and they are ready for the next smoke.

Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger