Author Topic: 2D temperature fluctuations  (Read 4660 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: 2D temperature fluctuations
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2022, 04:41:34 PM »
In addition to the foil boat method, some folks have used a ramp up method for the heat - starting for 30 minutes or so at a lower set temp, then ramp up to the desired temp.   The point to the lower temp is to get the wood to start smoking without getting hot enough to catch fire.   

Apparently dry wood catches fire during the first heating cycle.   I have been using wood from smokinlicious that has a higher moisture content (I guess) so that the wood does not ignite.    I have not experienced the "belch", and I don't use the foil or ramp methods.   I do see the quick puffs of smoke at around 180-190*, but it is minor compared to the "belch"!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Limey

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 01:23:44 PM »
I have found that keeping a chip screen in the unit at all times is very helpful in avoiding combustion.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:46:50 AM by Limey »
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

lcdearman

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2022, 04:16:59 PM »
Before adding the Auber, I used a chip screen with a layer of foil underneath it in my #2. The wood came out as charcoal every time, but without both of those, I always got ash, which I believe means the wood caught fire. When I added the Auber, I got rid of the chip screen and the foil, and do a 30 minute ramp at 150*. With that process I get charcoal.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

arkhomer

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
I emailed Steve and he recommended I run a temp probe without wood or meat at 225. I ran two just to make sure one wasn't giving false readings... my smoker got up to 295 and dropped to 240, then back to 280. I've got something wrong with my smoker. Disappointing 😞

FYI, this was about an hour and a half in.. my app overwrites the graph after an hour or so and I missed a Screenshot of the initial rise.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:19:52 PM by arkhomer »

tpcdelisle

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 09:12:14 PM »
I emailed Steve and he recommended I run a temp probe without wood or meat at 225. I ran two just to make sure one wasn't giving false readings... my smoker got up to 295 and dropped to 240, then back to 280. I've got something wrong with my smoker. Disappointing 😞

It could be that the 55 degree spread (roughly 25 degrees each way) is fine for an analog.  Maybe the analog dial needs to be adjusted down so that if set at 225 it will cycle between 200 and 250 giving that 225 average.  That would actually be good for an analog and will cook just fine. Just my 2cents.
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 10:41:38 PM »
The Model 2 smoker comes in two configurations.  Lets try to ensure that we all know whether the smoker in question is analog or digital. Bouncing between two different threads is wearisome.  Also when describing the problem, please provide specific model details of auxiliary equipment in use and not just the results.

Also, is your inkbird calibrated from a standpoint that it accurately registers the temp point of boiling water at your altitude?  Lots of variables in play trying to help you get this sorted out.
Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:11:28 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

arkhomer

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 12:05:57 PM »
It's a #2 analog. Yes, my inkbird is calibrated for my altitude, but that's a moot point as I am experiencing a +70 degree increase from the set temperature.

lcdearman

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »
There is a procedure for calibrating the temperature knob. Largish temp swings (+/- 25 or 35 IIRC) are normal in the analog smoker, just like an electric oven. Calibrating the knob lets you make it such that when the knob reads 225, the AVERAGE temp is 225 or thereabouts. I added an external Auber to my #2 analog, and while I like the more precise control (I'm an engineer, I can't help it), it was just as much about the step controls, wifi access, and data plots as it was about the temperature. I cannot say I have noticed a big difference in my food.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2022, 07:41:02 PM »
It's a #2 analog. Yes, my inkbird is calibrated for my altitude, but that's a moot point as I am experiencing a +70 degree increase from the set temperature.
Sorry you feel it is a moot point. Just trying to help and you did not fully disclose your set up which is why I asked. 

If you need a new controller unit, Steve will replace under warranty.  I would try adjusting as explained in the "for the customer" section of the main SI Site.  If you have already done so, let Steve know. It is quite possible that the capillary tube was kinked during the factory install and if so it will render the thermostat useless and a replacement is needed.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus