Author Topic: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!  (Read 20808 times)

barelfly

Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!
« on: March 21, 2020, 09:41:59 PM »
Will start with today - took a small packer brisket and split it up for Corned Beef for St. Paddy’s day, the other half for pastrami Reuben sandwiches with some of my home made kraut. Didn’t get a sammich pick but some nice sliced pastrami here! When I smoked the side, I took it to temp, about 200* rather than steaming to temp, as I wanted a nice crusty bark. It came out exactly how I wanted it!

Also steaked out the striploin I had dry aging in the fridge. Let it go 47 days, steaked it out with about 2” steaks that were about 1.25lbs each. Will make for nice steaks for two people.

Also made some smoked chicken last week - rubbed with Meathead’s Memphis Dust and smoked for 2 hours the glazed with Blues Hog Original BBQ sauce and finished on the grill. Really good chicken!

I have some BB ribs I picked up earlier this week, just so I had some other stuff to eat. Will smoke those later this week I think. But loving the 3D the last few weeks!

What are you smoking or cooking??? Post it up!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:16:32 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

mike1910

Re: A few things from over the last few weeks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
WOW- everything looks fantastic! By the looks of it, I’d say they were all a complete success! I did some baby backs recently and I am doing a corned beef brisket flat for some ruebens today. My uncle made some kraut that I’ll try with it. I’ve certainly found myself smoking more with the recent down time. I’ve got a chicken hanging out in the freezer that will probably be next on the list.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

Re: A few things from over the last few weeks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:15:55 AM »
@mike1910 those ribs look great! What did you rub/glaze with? And what smoke process did you go with? I haven’t had ribs in a long time - need to get the two racks I have out of the freezer!

Thanks for posting! I hope more will join in on this thread!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

tomd8

Re: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »
Everything above looks great.  I'm using up the pulled pork and having ribs tonight which were smoked prior and had frozen weeks ago before smoke anything.  Went to Costco they were out of SLR's. Stop & Shop only had a few roast beef packages and lamb racks.  I did pick up a corned beef flat that's in the freezer with 1 rack of SLR's and frozen turkey.

On the work front, our office is closed down in NYC so I've been working from home with my wife, grandkids and daughter.  Glad to not have to make the 4 hour commute (round trip) on mass transit.  Stay safe, practice social distancing and try to keep your sanity if you have kids at home while quarantined in place.  Be Well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:43:57 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

mike1910

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »
Barelfly- Thanks! I love doing ribs.  My dad owns a local meat shop and I use a combination of his own smokehouse seasoning and a basic salt, pepper, garlic blend. I mix them together and use for the rub. As for the sauce glaze/sauce I use Big John’s Ol West BBQ and Dipping Sauce. It’s a thicker sauce and it’s sweet. It seems to play well with the rub I use and the ribs. My method is pretty simple. Rub the ribs, let them hang out for a while, toss them in the smoker at 225 with a couple ounces of cherry and hickory wood. I also use cider beer in my water pan. No peeking until about the 5.5- 6 hour mark. At that time I’ll check them and brush on the sauce and let them go until desired fineness. When I do baby backs for whatever reason they usually take 6-7 hours. Good luck with your ribs If you decide to do them!

Tomd- I’m actually doing a corned beef flat today. Best of luck with yours. I’ve never done one before so we’ll see how it goes. It’s only about 2.5 lbs.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

mike1910

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:09:54 PM »
I also wanted to second what Tom said too. Everyone stay safe! My wife and  I have 2 little kids so we’re all trying to maintain our sanity. But the abundance of beer helps with that! Haha!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

mike1910

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 09:57:43 AM »
Last night I did corned beef brisket flat for ruebens. Turned out great!!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:12 PM »
Mike, that corned beef looks great! Out standing! Thansk for sharing - hopefully we get some others to post up, regardless of what it is. Doesn’t have to be in the smoker, just post up whatever it is you are cooking. Let’s get some stuff going here and see all the great Chefs we have!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
I made some pizzas tonight - two regular style pizza dough and two gluten free crusts for my wife and I. Really liked the GF crust recipe I found a few weeks ago. Turned out well.

Topped this with whole mozzarella, pepperoni, pine nuts, jalapeño and spinach. Good pizza!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 07:34:06 AM »
Great looking pizzas!  You’ve now inspired me to do homemade pizza this weekend. I usually don’t do my own crust but why not give a try. I like the choice on toppings. I’ve never had pine nuts on pizza, something to consider.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

tomd8

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »
Not smoked but I made some steamed shrimp buns.  15 in total with filling consisting of onion, red bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms and Napa cabbage and shrimp all chopped and sauteed.  Mixture stuffed into a dough wrapper and steamed until they rise.  Added some soy and sesame oil dipping sauce with hot peppers and onions.  Sorry no inside pics.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:57:11 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York

barelfly

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Tom!

Those look wonderful! Oh, I can taste the wonderful flavor combo and the dipping sauce! WOW!!!! What a treat to see!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
Wow! Those look great, Tom! Thanks for sharing
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

tomd8

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. They were really tasty.  They fed 3 adults and 3 kids.  I have some pizza dough queued up for tomorrow night's dinner.  I'm doing a test trying to get more flavor out of the dough.  I started with a 12 hour poolish and doing a 60 hour ferment in the fridge.   Hopefully I don't kill the dough.  Should be enough for three 14"-15" pies.
Tom from New York

mike1910

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »
Tom- very curious to hear how the pizza turns out. Good luck!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3