Author Topic: Different Meats at the same time  (Read 4456 times)

JDSmoker

Different Meats at the same time
« on: February 06, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »
When putting two different meats or dishes in the smoker that take different times to complete, when should you add the one that cooks quicker?

Would you put meat #1 and #2 both in at the same time and then just take out #2 when it is done and place it in an oven to keep warm?

Or if meat #1 is almost done, do you then throw in meat #2 so they finish at the same time? My only concern with this is that if meat #1 has been smoking for a few hours at this point then the wood is already burned and there wont be much smoke flavor in meat #2.

Thanks for the help guys.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Different Meats at the same time
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
I normally try to avoid smoking things that get done at largely different times, but when I do I always put them in at the same time so that they can share the same smoke. Then I either wrap in foil and rest in a cooler with towels over it or wrap and store in a low temp oven until the other item/s are ready.

There are a couple of reasons that I do it this way:
  • Trying to add more wood to a hot smoker and hot smoke box is difficult at best and could be dangerous.
  • As is pretty well documented on this site, smoke will only absorb into the meat until it hits roughly 140°. So, if you apply a new round of smoke after the meat has reached its 140°, the smoke just adds to the outside of the meat and can turn bitter which is not good eats.
These are my 2¢

Please let us know how it goes and don't forget to include some pics.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:24:42 AM »
I agree with Gregg, if you want both meats to have smoke you would have to put them in at the same time.
Best Greg

propoly

• Protective Polymers
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »
I'd have never considered two different meats at once. Good tips!

tomd8

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:28:56 PM »
I have done ribs and wings at the same time.  Ribs take roughly 5.5-6 hrs, wings 2 hours @ 230deg.  I put them both in at the same time since I'm only adding wood once.  Ribs go on the top rack and wings underneath to avoid dripping the chicken onto the pork.  At the 2 hour mark I pull the wings rack, close the door and continue with the ribs.  When the ribs are done I remove them and wrap with foil then use my grill for the wings to crisp the skin while lightly brushing with BBQ sauce.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:46:26 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
I have done ribs and wings at the same time.  Ribs take roughly 5.5-6 hrs, wings 2 hours.  I put them both in at the same time since I'm only adding wood once.  Ribs go on the top rack and wings underneath to avoid dripping the chicken onto the pork.  At the 2 hour mark I pull the wings rack, close the door and continue with the ribs.  When the ribs are done I remove them and wrap with foil then use my grill for the wings to crisp the skin while lightly brushing with BBQ sauce.

Great point to remind people to place poultry below other non-poultry items when doing multi-meat smokes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ReliableRick

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:13:50 AM »
I have done ribs and wings at the same time.  Ribs take roughly 5.5-6 hrs, wings 2 hours @ 230deg.  I put them both in at the same time since I'm only adding wood once.  Ribs go on the top rack and wings underneath to avoid dripping the chicken onto the pork.  At the 2 hour mark I pull the wings rack, close the door and continue with the ribs.  When the ribs are done I remove them and wrap with foil then use my grill for the wings to crisp the skin while lightly brushing with BBQ sauce.

Very good info. I wouldn't have though about the chicken dripping on the ribs.

When grilling the wings after, what temp are you using? The wife likes crispy skin.
Rick, 4 hours and 14 minutes northeast of Smokin-IT warehouse
Model 2D owner (Newbie)
I love being outdoors, being self reliant, and feeding people.

B-1 Pilot

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »
My first ever smoke in my 3D was Pork Butt, Brisket, Chicken Thighs and a Mac and Cheese -- all to be completed at the same time.  Why?  Because I like a challenge....

It had to be a fair bit orchestrated, but everything came to together pretty close to the end.  Large butt went in first with 3 oz of wood.  The pork butt was wrapped in pink paper at stall as I was starting the brisket (it was small), and I re-added 2 oz of wood.  Chicken and mac and cheese went in with 2 hours to go -- and they only got light residual smoke, which was fine for them due to seasoning and sauce.  1 hour to go, pork was unwrapped and brisket was pulled to rest.  30 minutes to go pork was pulled.  At the end, the chicken thighs went into the 900 pizza oven for 30 seconds to get a quick crisp up.   

I was worried that that would be a lot of opening and closing, but we worked like a team and were quick when we opened the box.  The SI is a well-built machine that minimized temp drops and all came out perfect.  The lack of smoke ring was truly just a visual change... the flavor was spot on. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »
All's well that ends well.  Look very good!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus