Author Topic: 3 lb boneless ribeye steak  (Read 3503 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

3 lb boneless ribeye steak
« on: October 06, 2016, 11:50:40 AM »
last night I smoked a 3.02 lb boneless ribeye steak about 3 inches thick.  Perfection!  I used 2 3/4 oz. wood, a combination of cherry and hickory and set the smoker temp. for 200 with the internal temp. at 121.  This was a guess based on what I had done previously for a smaller steak and a larger rib roast.  I then reverse seared it on my gas grill for 2.5 minutes per side.  It was a perfect rare to medium rare.  My guest loved it, and my husband is still talking about how wonderful it was.  I have 2 more identical that I got from Costco so hopefully they will be just as good. Picture to follow.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

prudentsmoker

Re: 3 lb boneless ribeye steak
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »
I too have had great luck with reverse searing! I would go so far as to say it is the best steak I have ever had. The recipe I have calls for smoking it to 110 and then throwing it on a grill.
Brian from Wichita

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »
last night I smoked a 3.02 lb boneless ribeye steak about 3 inches thick.  Perfection!  I used 2 3/4 oz. wood, a combination of cherry and hickory and set the smoker temp. for 200 with the internal temp. at 121.  This was a guess based on what I had done previously for a smaller steak and a larger rib roast.  I then reverse seared it on my gas grill for 2.5 minutes per side.  It was a perfect rare to medium rare.  My guest loved it, and my husband is still talking about how wonderful it was.  I have 2 more identical that I got from Costco so hopefully they will be just as good. Picture to follow.

Here is the picture of my  3+ lb ribeye. 
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:20:27 PM »
Beautiful job Sue! That just looks nice! I'll bet it tasted great too.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »
Beautiful job Sue! That just looks nice! I'll bet it tasted great too.

I have some left to get me through Hurricane Matthew, although it seems that the NC coast where I live will be OK.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
Stay safe, Sue!  We're praying for all our friends that will be affected by mean-ol' Mathew! 

The steak looks great!  There is certainly nothing wrong with your technique, so what I'm going to say is only meant as a "tweek" to an already wonderful steak.

Let me give you a tip on the reverse-sear, that I've learned through a lot of trial and error, and getting into sous vide cooking has also helped.  First, when you remove the steak from the smoker, cover it in foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes (because it's 3" thick).  This gives it the appropriate rest, so the juices are re-absorbed into the meat, and it allows it to cool a bit (important for reverse-searing...reduce internal temp before you start).

Next, get the absolute hottest source you can, for the sear!  If you can get your grill super-hot, do so while the steak is resting.  If it's a 550°+ oven, also get it good and hot.  The hotter, the better!  I use the 800° sear station on my gasser, and it works fantastic.

Prep for the sear:  Remove the foil from the steak, and pat it dry with paper towels.  Remove as much moisture as possible from the surface of the meat.  This inhibits searing because you have to cook away the moisture, and it takes longer, which increases the depth of the gray ring.  Add a light coating of oil to the surface of the meat, which helps the sear.

On the grill: Put it on when the grill is piping hot, as hot as you can get it.  Then, don't leave it on one side too long!  I go about 30 seconds per side, and flip it.  This allows each side to cool a bit.  So, about 4 or 5 flips, and it's done! 

In the oven:  Prep it the same way, but put it on a baker's rack, over a pan (so the heat gets all the way around).  It may take a little longer than 4-5 minutes, but the sear will not be deep.

What this does is give you that oh so beautiful pink from edge to edge!  Like I said, just a little "tweek" to help, not that you need it, because I already know how great that steak tasted!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 02:36:27 AM »
Great searing info Tony! The rest before the sear, and drying/oiling the surface are so important.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »
Stay safe, Sue!  We're praying for all our friends that will be affected by mean-ol' Mathew! 

The steak looks great!  There is certainly nothing wrong with your technique, so what I'm going to say is only meant as a "tweek" to an already wonderful steak.

Let me give you a tip on the reverse-sear, that I've learned through a lot of trial and error, and getting into sous vide cooking has also helped.  First, when you remove the steak from the smoker, cover it in foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes (because it's 3" thick).  This gives it the appropriate rest, so the juices are re-absorbed into the meat, and it allows it to cool a bit (important for reverse-searing...reduce internal temp before you start).

Next, get the absolute hottest source you can, for the sear!  If you can get your grill super-hot, do so while the steak is resting.  If it's a 550°+ oven, also get it good and hot.  The hotter, the better!  I use the 800° sear station on my gasser, and it works fantastic.

Prep for the sear:  Remove the foil from the steak, and pat it dry with paper towels.  Remove as much moisture as possible from the surface of the meat.  This inhibits searing because you have to cook away the moisture, and it takes longer, which increases the depth of the gray ring.  Add a light coating of oil to the surface of the meat, which helps the sear.

On the grill: Put it on when the grill is piping hot, as hot as you can get it.  Then, don't leave it on one side too long!  I go about 30 seconds per side, and flip it.  This allows each side to cool a bit.  So, about 4 or 5 flips, and it's done! 

In the oven:  Prep it the same way, but put it on a baker's rack, over a pan (so the heat gets all the way around).  It may take a little longer than 4-5 minutes, but the sear will not be deep.

What this does is give you that oh so beautiful pink from edge to edge!  Like I said, just a little "tweek" to help, not that you need it, because I already know how great that steak tasted!

I really appreciate these tips and will make some adjustments next time.  I do know my grill was at 500+ when I did the reverse sear.  Because of the resting prior to searing, I think I will back down a little on the internal temp. setting and the sear time to make sure the steak is finished rare.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC