Author Topic: Improvements I would like to see  (Read 15202 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Improvements I would like to see
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
I had an idea spring into my noodle today. The issue with grease still getting under the foil that you line on the bottom had me thinking. The reason discussed in another thread mentioned the possibility that the sidewalls might be the culprit, allowing grease on the walls to slide down and seep under the foil.

My thought was to install a beveled rail/lip (angled down) just above the floor bottom that would act much like the eaves of a roof. It would direct the grease over the edge of the foil to keep it from running behind/under the foil. It would have to run the perimeter, both sides and rear wall.

Freakin' brilliant!  I'm definitely passing this one on to Steve. Simple, and I bet would solve the problem! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 06:00:59 AM »
I had an idea spring into my noodle today. The issue with grease still getting under the foil that you line on the bottom had me thinking. The reason discussed in another thread mentioned the possibility that the sidewalls might be the culprit, allowing grease on the walls to slide down and seep under the foil.

My thought was to install a beveled rail/lip (angled down) just above the floor bottom that would act much like the eaves of a roof. It would direct the grease over the edge of the foil to keep it from running behind/under the foil. It would have to run the perimeter, both sides and rear wall.

Freakin' brilliant!  I'm definitely passing this one on to Steve. Simple, and I bet would solve the problem!

Why thank you sir! I feel useful for once, lol :P
Jason from Conyers GA

Bearsmoke

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
This is a great idea that would make the bottom much easier to clean. Hopefully we'll see them added soon.
Barry from NE Arkansas
Smokin-It 3D, Phoenix gas grill

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
Another thought would be to just make the 2 side rack holders taller to extend down shy of the bottom. Your foil would then be tucked behind them. Doesn't help the front or rear surfaces though.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Bearsmoke

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 01:15:00 AM »
I'm bringing this up again because it's a great idea. A lip on both sides, back and the door would make cleanup much easier.

Barry from NE Arkansas
Smokin-It 3D, Phoenix gas grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »
One has to consider the increase in the price of the smoker as well as the possible conflict with the wood box.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus