Author Topic: Aaron Franklin Espresso BBQ Sauce  (Read 12878 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Aaron Franklin Espresso BBQ Sauce
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »
Here is the recipe, I will post a photo and my tasting results this afternoon.

Frankin’s Espresso BBQ Sauce
Makes about 7 cups.
4 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons brewed espresso
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Let cool, cover and store for up to 3 weeks.

Durangosmoker

Re: Aaron Franklin Espresso BBQ Sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »
Looks interesting. Looking forward to the tasting report.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
I decided to half the recipe and make two different versions. The first version I used the original recipe and the second I tweaked it.

The original recipe has a nice dark color, it has just the right amount of heat and a bit of twang. You can really taste the Espresso (I used Starbucks for this recipe) and my first few samples I thought maybe to much Espresso. I have placed the sauce in the refrigerator and test again tomorrow to see if it mellows.

The second test batch of sauce (recipe follows) I made the following changes.
Removed the white vinegar from the recipe
Added 1/4 cup of water
Used 1 T Moores marinade instead of Worcestershire
Added 1 T brown sugar

The color was about the same, the heat was right, it had a hint of sweetness, but once again the Espresso seemed a bit much. I have also added this to the refrigerator and will test again tomorrow.

Since I have 1.5 T of Espresso left over, if I have time I will try a new batch (this will be half the Espresso used in the recipes) to see if I like the flavor better.

The other test I plan to do is to actually put the sauce on some meat and see if my thoughts about the flavors change. On the weekend I will have some friends over and we will do a blind test.

Modified Frankin’s Espresso BBQ Sauce
Makes about 3.5 cups.
2 cups ketchup
3/4 cup water
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons brewed espresso
1 T Moores Marinade
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 ½ t. kosher salt
1 ½ t. coarsely ground pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Let cool, cover and store for up to 3 weeks.

Greg

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:48:59 AM by gregbooras »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
Well the sauce has been in the refrigerator for about 6 hours and I decided to take another taste (I hate waiting).

The initial taste is good, but then wow the bitter factor really kicks in.....

Sorry I think this has to much Espresso, even 10 minutes later, the bitter taste I can still taste it. ...

Just my 2 cents, but a sauce should not be over powering and should accent your dish.

I am out of Ketchup, so in the morning I will stock up and try the recipe again.

I plan to make a variation of his original sauce with just a hint of the Espresso.

So I will start with a small amount and then add until it seems right.

I will post the recipe once I finish and add this to the weekend sauce taste test.....

Greg
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:49:11 PM by gregbooras »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
They're not all winners, Greg - even it is from Aaron Franklin.  That just doesn't look very appetizing to me.  Good that you tried it, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »
They're not all winners, Greg - even it is from Aaron Franklin.  That just doesn't look very appetizing to me.  Good that you tried it, though!

Hey Tony,

Everyone has a favorite sauce, I have been making on my homemade sauce for years and it works for me.. I don't buy commercial sauces, but thought this would an interesting test.

While not being a chef by trade (to many hours) my father a chef an being Greek, everything was about food. My dad while working in the food industry also had a side business catering weddings.

My first job was cleaning dishes.. WOW this is living.

But for me, I have always have a love for technology. So I joined the Navy, gave our country six years and then built a really good life.

Most likely to much info...

But this is a nice place to share.

Best

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »

Best

Greg

Never "too much" info, Greg!  And yes, this IS a nice place to share!  Shoot, we even have fish sauce aged steaks being created here! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »

Best

Greg

Never "too much" info, Greg!  And yes, this IS a nice place to share!  Shoot, we even have fish sauce aged steaks being created here! ;)

Hey Dave (I mean Tony, I am bad)!

Yes you can just go to the grocery store and buy a BBQ a sauce, but you can really make a great sauce at home that is healthier and tastes better.

Tomorrow I will post another variation of the sauce.

This weekend I will do a blind taste test....

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
The idea of adding either Espresso or strong coffee sounded like a great Idea. But the amount of espresso used in this recipe...

Now I want to say I love dark beer, IPA one of my favorites, but when I taste a sauce it should not leave a bitter taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.....

So batch number three, I cut back big time on the Espresso, in fact I tasted it with just 1 teaspoon and then ended up with 1.5 t. of espresso. When I tasted the batch I first had some sweetness, followed by a big of heat and then the taste of the Espresso. Overall I think this may turn out to be a really good sauce. I will let it sit for a day and then give it a try again.

Note if you decide to try this recipe or even the original start out with a 1 teaspoon and add once you taste it. You can always add more expresso, but once you added it your are stuck unless you increase all the rest of the ingredients.

Here is my third attempt and most likely a keeper!

1T butter
1 t. onion powder
1 ½ cups ketchup
½ cup water
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup apple juice
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
2 T lemon juice
2 t Moore’ marinade
1 ½ t espresso
Melt butter and then add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track, Greg!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track, Greg!

Trial and error is the way to a better sauce.....

I have been making my same recipe of BBQ sauce for years and everyone likes it. But I thought what the heck lets play with a few recipes and see if I can add another sauce to the arsenal.  This weekend I will have friends over and we will do a blind taste test (they will) on the five different sauces. It should be interesting to see what everyone thinks are the best two.

I am thinking about making a smoked blooming bologna and the cutting into small pieces (used with toothpicks) as something to dip into the sauce.

I will keep everyone posted.

Smoke on.

Greg

es1025

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »
I only buy one commerical sauce its the Bone suckin sauce. They have a regualr and hot version. I like to make a sauce, i typically make a memphis style and a carolina sauce. I agree they do taste better and tou know whats in the sauce.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
I only buy one commerical sauce its the Bone suckin sauce. They have a regualr and hot version. I like to make a sauce, i typically make a memphis style and a carolina sauce. I agree they do taste better and tou know whats in the sauce.

Ed,

Homemade sauce is always good, the only other sauce I make once in a while is a mustard based BBQ sauce.

Greg

mizzoufan

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
While not this recipe...heck, I don't even have a recipe and just do it by taste as I cook...I have tried adding strong coffee once when it got to be a tad too thick because it took too much time to get the taste right.  It adds an interesting tweak but not enough coffee flavor so that my regular visitors could tell what the difference was.  They did notice a difference and were of the "oh yeah, that's it" frame of mind once I told them.  I might make another batch with a touch more in it for kicks sometime
Steven from KCMO

RG

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
Greg, was the tweaked final version better after chilling in the fridge and mellowing out? Would you make it again?