Author Topic: The FINAL way to do a brisket?  (Read 56463 times)

Walt

Re: The FINAL way to do a brisket?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »
Last time in Austin I ate at a food trailer run by an ex employee of Franklin BBQ & I believe it was an old pit from Franklin as well. Same methods & receipe. Brisket was dynamite as was everything we tried. The food trucks were a block off congress near the Allen Boot store. No wait & you get the same food. Sorry cant remember the name but if your in the area, it wont be hard to find.  As for the SI, I prefer a different method. However, the Franklin method does incredible on the pits he uses.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
Keep pestering DM to change to board for auto-resizing images. It shouldn't be that difficult (I wouldn't think) to fix this forum to resize large uploads to smaller images and auto-resize linked images. I see it often on other boards.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 06:16:19 AM »
While surfing the web this morning I found and 11 episode video series that Franklin did for PBS that I thought some of you would enjoy.

Greg

BBQ With Franklin

BBQ With Franklin, produced by KLRU-TV, Austin PBS, proves that barbecue doesn’t have to be complicated and it doesn’t take a lot of specialized equipment. In this 11 episode instructional web series, BBQ nerd Aaron Franklin explains the steps beginning to end in creating delicious barbecue in your backyard. Learn how to modify an off-the-rack smoker for optimal success. Find out why the type of wood you choose is important and how to build a fire. Discover the correct temperature for smoking meats and why the way you slice a finished brisket is so important.

http://www.pbs.org/food/web-shows/bbq-with-franklin/

RG

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
I haven't watched them all yet. I actually posted that same link on my little page I manage on Facebook. It's called Grills Smokers & Gadgets if anyone of you want to check it out. I do reviews of things, a user level 'Consumer Reports" if you will. Always looking to add more content so feel free to join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579441292309286/

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »
I have watched the first four, pretty interesting and he seems like a stand up kind of guy!

Greg

RG

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2015, 07:07:02 AM »
Yep, he seems cool enough. He is also a wizard on the smoker. I don't think he's capable of cooking bad food, lol. I guess it doesn't hurt that he cooks only prime meat. I'm happy with CAB Choice but I couldn't imagine buying a prime brisket. I've known a few folks who have bought and cooked Wagyu and said it was incredible!

Too rich for my blood! I think bbq being expensive goes against the very purpose of cooking low and slow. It's almost sacreligious to cook a fine cut of meat that way. The whole purpose is to turn a less desirable cut into something magical through low heat and time. Pork butts and briskets used to be garbage cuts until it was discovered what low and slow could do to it!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »
Yep, he seems cool enough. He is also a wizard on the smoker. I don't think he's capable of cooking bad food, lol. I guess it doesn't hurt that he cooks only prime meat. I'm happy with CAB Choice but I couldn't imagine buying a prime brisket. I've known a few folks who have bought and cooked Wagyu and said it was incredible!

Too rich for my blood! I think bbq being expensive goes against the very purpose of cooking low and slow. It's almost sacreligious to cook a fine cut of meat that way. The whole purpose is to turn a less desirable cut into something magical through low heat and time. Pork butts and briskets used to be garbage cuts until it was discovered what low and slow could do to it!

It might be interesting to try smoking a prime maybe once, but you are right very pricy and the choice cut seems to work just fine.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
It might be interesting to try smoking a prime maybe once, but you are right very pricy and the choice cut seems to work just fine.

Greg

Funny, but my local Sam's used to carry only Prime brisket!  Now, only Choice.  The Prime's weren't much more, and very good.  I miss them... :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
I went and bought the test subject today at Restaurant Depot. I also bought a cambro pan to brine it in http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-16cw135-camwear-full-size-6-deep-clear-food-pan/21416CWCL.html

I paid $5.00 more at RD but oh well :P

Here's the star of the show

I have a roll of this coming tomorrow
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x-700-40-peach-treated-butcher-paper-roll/43324PEA.html

Now all I need to do is get my brine ready, decide what I am going to inject it with, buy some coarse black pepper and we'll be in b'ness!! LOL

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 06:17:26 PM »
Hey Jason,

We have a Restaurant Depot about 40 miles from me, but it looks like you need business license or tax exemption certificate.

Is there another way to get membership here?

Thanks Greg

RG

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2015, 06:51:39 PM »
Yes sir, join the KCBS and you can get a free pass. Prices vary across the country on certain things, sometimes you get great deals, sometimes not so much vs. online. I will warn you in advance, you WILL spend far more money in there than you want to. Just make peace with it now, lol.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »
Yes sir, join the KCBS and you can get a free pass. Prices vary across the country on certain things, sometimes you get great deals, sometimes not so much vs. online. I will warn you in advance, you WILL spend far more money in there than you want to. Just make peace with it now, lol.

Jason,

OK, I am interested, by joining how does this let me in to the wholesale club. If this is very detailed and you don't want to post here please send me an email!
http://www.kcbs.us/join.php

Thanks Greg

RG

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2015, 07:17:26 PM »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
Jason,

You made my day, I was trying to decide if I needed to start a non-profit to get in at Restaurant Depot....... :)

Greg

RG

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
The first time you go into one, you're going to be like a 5 year old in Toys'R'Us! Grab one of their "U-Boats" (carts), you're going to need it. I hope you have a freezer, you're going to need it too! They sell lots of pizza stuff (canned tomatoes, bread flour, peels, docks, cutters, you name it). Useful things I've bought are sheet trays (1/4 and 1/2), knives, foil pans, condiment cups and lids, quart containers and lids (for sending leftovers home with people), pizza boxes (because I am a sick individual), aprons, spatulas, pots, latex gloves, degreasers. Man I've dropped a lot of money there now that I think about it. Evil place it is, lol. I buy charcoal there sometimes too. It's got every freakin' thing you can imagine. EVERYTHING!! That's why I said, be prepared to flip your lid and blow a wad of cash. My first trip there was $400.00 and I didn't get half of what I wanted to get :P

The butts are sold in 2 packs, you get a discount for buying it by the case, which technically isn't a case but anything over 49 pounds I believe. Baby backs are sold in 3 packs, briskets are sold as you see in the picture but they do have regular old select briskets and they have what I also buy, the CAB Choice briskets. Much better. I paid $3.53/lb for that brisket today. I used to get them for $2.57/lb not so long ago, meat has really risen. The select is going for $2.99/lb but these prices are for GA, don't know what they'd be in FL but you can let me know!

I've bought whole ribeye choice subprimals there for dry aging, seafood is good too but in FL you already have access to that I'm sure. Desserts, apps, all kinds of stuff. Spices, sauces.......on and on. It's like Disneyland for us cooks, lol.