Author Topic: The FINAL way to do a brisket?  (Read 56010 times)

RG

The FINAL way to do a brisket?
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »
I've read through here looking for THE definitive method for doing a brisket on the Smokin-It and I see different ways. So....I figured I'd ask what has been THE preferred method. Use a brine? Injection? Both? Wrap during cookinig? If so, butcher paper or foil?

My plan is to buy a packer soon and want to brine and inject but I also want to use dalmation rub. I used it on my last brisket instead of what I normally use and I LOVED IT!! My fear is, that since it's just kosher salt and coarse black pepper, I don't want it to come out too salty from brining with the added salt of the rub.

So my fellow smokers, Divot's pork butt brine I know but what injection? Thoughts about the dalmation rub? Wrapping?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:45:06 PM by RG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: The FINAL way to do a brisket?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
Jason,

After playing with a lot of ideas and even doing a taste test with about 6 brines, I decided to keep the injection simple. Here is what I used on my brisket I did a few days ago:

Injection marinade:
4 cups water (bring to a boil and then add Better than Bouillon and Hot Sauce, simmer 15 minutes)
4 t Better than Bouillon
1 t. Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

Also here is Tonys Brine recipe he posted
DivotMaker
DM's Brisket Injection

I recently realized I'd never posted the injection I use for brisket, so here it is!

1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 tbsp crystal hot sauce
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1 tbsp salt
1/3 cup Foster's beer (or any "full-flavor" beer - it's for flavor, not alcohol.  I won't use "light" beer for this)

I like to inject the day before smoking, coat in mustard and rub, wrap in plastic, and rest in the fridge overnight. 

Greg

es1025

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
Jason
I am an outlier when it comes to brisket.
I follow Aaron Franklin's method.
Dalmatian rub, 250 smoker temp, wrap between 150-160. Cook until internal temp of 195. Aaron uses butcher paper, i used parchment paper.
The briskets come out moist and juicy.

No brines, no injections.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Walt

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
If you brine & inject, there will be no need to wrap. Try Eds method & then try brineing & injecting. You can tell us which method is preferable.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »
I make my injection the night before the smoke.
1 can beef broth
1 tsp Better than Bouillon
1 Tbsp minced garlic from a jar
After seasoning overnight, strain off minced garlic and inject just prior to putting in the smoker.

P.S. - I brine, inject and use Ed's method.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
LOL, so there IS no FINAL way is what you're telling me? ;D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
Jason, I think the brining + injecting is the final way.  Wrap or no wrap is a simple function of cooking time and whether or not you are a big fan of bark.  I like shorter cook times and prefer all my meat to be tender.  Answer those questions and you will have YOUR final way.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:47:03 PM »
I have been curious as to the butcher paper. I am not one to foil briskets or butts. I do foil ribs but only pork ribs. If I can find a good deal on butcher paper, I think I will try it.

On the keg I always inject, I've never ever brined a brisket. I used to make my own injection using various things but then started using Fab-B Lite or Butcher's Prime

They both have given me good results on the Keg. The last brisket I did was on the #3 and it had no injection, no brine, no fancy rub. Just Kosher salt and Coarse Black Pepper, 50/50 mix dalmation rub and it was very nice. I am always out to improve what I do, even when it's on point I always look to improve or at least come to the realization that I've made something as good as I possibly can, then I leave it alone.

Kegged brisket with Butcher's Prime

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
The brisket looks excellent.

Nice job Jason.

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
"Kegged brisket with Butcher's Prime"  Great Pic, How do you improve on that?  ???

RG

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
"Kegged brisket with Butcher's Prime"  Great Pic, How do you improve on that?  ???

I think there's always room for improvement ;)

I keep trying and I want to make the best that I can make. I am going to do another soon, on the SI and I'll let y'all know how it goes!

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
I for one will be watching for the results. :)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »
Sorry, Jason, but there's NEVER a "FINAL" way in BBQ! ;)

I use my butt brine, then inject with this:

Brisket Injection

Then rub with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning for an overnight rest, after brine and injection.

Don't know if it's my "final," but it works for me!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:38:03 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »
Sorry, Jason, but there's NEVER a "FINAL" way in BBQ! ;)

I use my butt brine, then inject with this:

Brisket Injection

Then rub with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning for an overnight rest, after brine and injection.

Don't know if it's my "final," but it works for me!

What I should've said is the "preferred" method to do a brisket on a SI smoker. Through trial and error what has this forum found to yield the best results. I know there is no "final" way obviously. I just know that no matter how good something is, it can always be made better. Maybe by only a scant trace but better nevertheless ;)

That's what makes me try different things on different cookers, otherwise I would've stayed with my Brinkmann offset that I had many moons ago, good thing I expanded my horizions, lol!

RG

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
So.....if I were to brine and inject, how will that affect the dalmation rub that I want to use? Will it be too salty? I wonder if an equilibrium brine would be better suited for what I want to do. Also, to achieve the faux smoke ring would it be better to do this also within the brine by adding the pink salt, same as with the boston butts? Has anyone incorporated pink salt as part of the rub? I know that it would not be wise to use it in the injection for obvious reasons.