Author Topic: Memphis BBQ Company Rub  (Read 15506 times)

Barrel99

Re: Memphis BBQ Company Rub
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »
I like the dark also. Next time I am going to try mixing all three and see how that works.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:20 AM »
Experimentation is a beautiful thing!  Let us know what you think of it.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
I got the proof of the white sugar boost to the bark from Memphis Dust.  Not real partial to the rub flavor, but boy, did it make a nice bark!  Only difference is the white sugar!  I've also read about white sugar caramelizing better than brown, in rubs.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 01:04:04 AM »
I use Memphis Dust also. It does leave a nice bark but honestly I haven't taken notice that it is more than some other rubs. I have also read that the white does help with the bark because it caramelizes faster than brown. I will have to watch it more closely.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »
I use Memphis Dust also. It does leave a nice bark but honestly I haven't taken notice that it is more than some other rubs. I have also read that the white does help with the bark because it caramelizes faster than brown. I will have to watch it more closely.

It's a darker bark than I get with Famous Dave's Rib Rub, but sure doesn't have as much flavor.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 07:22:58 AM »
One more question about turbinado. They just opened a Fresh Market in our town and they actually sell turbinado in bulk. It's in the candy section so you can just scoop out however much you want. My question is: do I need to grind it down finer  or can I use it how it is? As it stands right now it's about the same grain as kosher salt.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
Run it through your coffee grinder to reduce the size of the grains.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »
This recipe calls for the Turbinado to be ground fine. Most other recipes I have used do not, so I don't grind it. When you grind it the measurement will be different because unground is less dense. Therefore 1 teaspoon ground is not the same as 1 teaspoon unground.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:12:05 PM by Barrel99 »