Author Topic: Watch it LIVE - Packer brisket smoke #2  (Read 4290 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Watch it LIVE - Packer brisket smoke #2
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:18:59 AM »
Planning to start my second packer brisket smoke sometime in the next hour. I believe it should run ~12 hours from when I start. Watch it cook with my HeaterMeter here:
http://bbq.tonylyne.com

I hope to post pics of the food, pics of the graphed cooking profile, and pics of the setup. My preparations on this brisket were:

1 - ~12-13 pound packer brisket (point and flat) = about limits of #2 shelf without cutting the brisket
1 - 6 Quart food safe container with markings to measure each quart (will have 1 gallon of brine when done)
1 - 2.5 gallon (extra large) ziploc baggie
1 - container big enough hold the brisket and fit in the fridge
     (brisket will go inside the baggie which will be filled with brine and placed in container in case of leak/spill,
       I use a free whipping container I obtained from Sam's club baking department)

Brine Ingredients:
1.75 Quarts water
1 1/8 cup Morton Tenderquick salt (curing salt mix- be careful with using this stuff)
1 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne (I substituted this time with hot sauce I had in fridge)
2 tsp black pepper

Put the water in a stove pot and slowly heat to medium high while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Measure out and mix the other dry ingredients together. Add the dry mix and remaining liquid ingredients to the warming water. Simmer (but don't boil) the brine and stir frequently to dissolve the mixture (~10-20 mins). The idea is to melt all the salt and sugar, and help blend some of those spices into the liquid.

Once the brine is blended, remove from heat and add the rest of the water in the form of ice cubes. You want ~1 to 1.1 gallon of brine and the ice is to chill it to below 40. Pour brine into 6 quart container to determine when you have reached the 1 to 1.1 gallon of chilled brine and ice almost gone. Chill your brine in fridge to get cold overnight or temp read the brine and ensure it's cold (i.e. under 40). I don't take any chances by putting the meat in a brine that isn't below 40-degrees. Once the brine has chilled, place the brisket in the 2.5 gallon baggie and into the safety catch chill container that fits in fridge. I usually point the point of the flat down so the flat can be folded over to fit inside the 2.5 gallon baggie. Then, fill the 2.5 gallon baggie with the 1 gallon brine solution and close the baggie trying to ensure all the meat is in the brine liquid. Let it brine for 10-13 hours. After brining, discard the brine and rinse the brisket well under cold water. Proceed with injection steps (optional) or move to the rub preparation.

Injection Steps:
Follow DivotMaker's steps in this post:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2230.msg14743#msg14743

Rub:
Coat in mustard
Apply rub of choice generously around whole brisket
Wrap rubbed brisket in saran wrap and place on cookie sheet
Let rest in fridge overnight (I usually go at least 8 hours) - This is mainly for letting the injection distribute moisture during a rest period, also gives rub a chance to penetrate

Smoke:
Place 5-6 ounces of smoking wood in smoker (I use peach and hickory)
Place two mini-loaf pans of water/beer next to smoke box on each side
Insert 1 or 2 food probes - 1 inserted in thick part of flat and the other in the middle of the point
Set analog or PID controller to 225º
When flat probe reaches 190º internal temp set to 140º holding temp (i.e. PID controller) or pull brisket

Double wrap brisket in foil for 2-4 hour resting period within an insulated cooler and wrapped in blankets around the foil. After rest, pull the brisket and slice. I will separate the point from the flat from this cook and freeze the whole point to do burnt ends at some point in the future. Slice the flat of the brisket against the grain with a good slicing knife or chopped some portions that don't slice well for chopped brisket.

I'll try to add photos of this cooking session when I'm all done with everything. Stay tuned!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

Re: Watch it LIVE - Packer brisket smoke #2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:01:24 AM »
Tony, you are like the mad scientist on this forum, and I mean that with true admiration. I get excited and a real kick out of watching the birth and the growth of the baby each time you do something new.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:32:06 AM »
I got it in... the temps are rising! Interesting, I appear to have a noisy probe that is bouncing around (The one in my Flat). These are new probes so I may have to send the noisy one back for replacement.

I also fixed my Avatar for ya! Oh, and this time around I finally hooked up my kill-a-watt power meter to measure how many kilowatt hours this brisket smoke takes. I'll Add that to my prior thread that goes into electrical consumption.  8)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:32:57 AM by TmanEater »

Tony from Marion, IA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
Pretty cool, I spent a few minutes watching it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »
Well, this is taking much longer than I thought it would. I'm about 20 hours into the smoke and about 9º shy of my 190º IT. While I'm waiting I figured I would post some pics of the brisket pre-cooking.

Tony from Marion, IA

jdwoods

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »
Tony, I admire your scientific/nerdy approach. I particularly envy your homebrew set up and how you have now incorporated your smoker.

How did the brisket turn out? Do you think your brisket NEEDED brining? Do you have some post-cook pics?!
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.