Author Topic: Rotisserie  (Read 5100 times)

puddle jumper

Rotisserie
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:47:36 AM »
OK  Guys
Those who know me from the beginning of the forum will remember that I'm a tinkerer by nature and with that being said I cant leave anything alone,,, :o
I've been toying with the idea of adding a rotisserie to my #2 to do chickens and turkeys and whatever else i can think of after its in there ,,,
I think I can mount it with two 1" holes on each side and a couple of screw holes that can be plugged with a stainless plug when not in use so it's not a all or nothing mod to the smoker,
 Here are a couple of pics to get the juices flowing so to speak, but what I'm wondering what you guys think good idea, or bad, interesting??? I think the advantages to self basting might make a great product out of the smoker, that much better...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
PJ, I'm always playing outside the box too.  I think it is a fine idea and shouldn't require others approval if you like the idea.  Utilizing the Weber equipment, it would just require the willingness to put some holes in your smoker.  You are likely to get some, "you don't have to do it to get moist meat" responses.  But there is really nothing you would be doing that couldn't easily be undone.  If it turned out that you didn't like how it worked, a couple of stainless bolts & nuts later and you would be back to previous operation. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »
If it makes you happy go for it. I don't see a need for it on the SI.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »
Cynics aside, John, I think it's a cool idea! 8)   I used to be a big rotisserie guy on the old Weber gasser, but never really thought about it in a smoker!  It actually makes good sense, and may actually solve the rubber poultry skin issue!  If you could smoke a bird down low, close to the smoke box, on the spin...hmmm...it...could...work!  Eureka! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »
I love the idea. Rotisserie cooking is excellent. I don't know if you will get a crisp skin on poultry, but the taste should be great
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

puddle jumper

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
Thanks for the input guys,
I think I'm going to give it a shot when the weather warms up around here,,
I will keep you guys posted,,  8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Good luck, PJ!  Let us know how it goes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

raymillsus

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »
I know this is old but did you do it?  :-\
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.