Author Topic: Ordered a #2  (Read 11451 times)

WeekendWarrior

Ordered a #2
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »
Well I've done a TON of research and came to the conclusion that the best value for the money for me was a Smokin-It #2, and Ordered it late Sunday.

Got my conformation this morning.
Anticipated ship date :Mon 6/23/2014
Estimated delivery :Wed 6/25/2014

Hoping this is accurate!

Ordered a Maverick ET-733 that should arrive on 6/26

Hope to season it on the 27th.

I have absolutely ZERO experience smoking.  Always been a grill person, but LOVE tasty smoked BBQ.

Picked up a great looking 8.1# Boston Butt and some Baby Back ribs from Fareway yesterday.

I plan on doing the butt as the first smoke.  Not sure on the timing of it.  Want to plan everything out and serve it Sunday the 29th.  Will probably do the ribs the following weekend.

I've been reading a lot of posts, but find it somewhat hard to find the best posts.  Does anyone have a list of links to posts for newbies?

I think I want to brine the butt the afternoon before at 5pm on Saturday,not sure of how long to brine it?

Haven't decided on the rub yet, either going to get some Bad Byron's or Famous Daves, or maybe a little mix of the two?  Maybe throw in a little Cookies Flavor enhancer as well.

I plan on putting the butt in the smoker at 5 am Sunday, cook for 12 hours to 200 at 225, foil and let rest 1 to 1.5 hours and then serve it up about 6:30 PM on Sunday

Not sure the type and amount of wood I should use for the first smoke.

Am I forgetting anything?

Any good tips for a first time smoker?
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Ordered a #2
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »
Welcome Bruce, and congratulations on the #2 purchase!   The delivery is very quick, so you should expect it to arrive on Wednesday.    Your plan of attack for the butt is spot on.   I would go with about 6 oz of wood given the length of the smoke time.    I typically brine the butt for at least 12 hours.  I would allow at least 1.5 hours per pound for the butt to reach 200IT, so start early and if it finishes quicker you can always lower the temp on the smoker for warm and hold, or remove and give it more rest time in double wrapped foil.   Be sure to insert the meat probe in the thick part of the meat without touching the bone (if it is a bone in butt).   Let's us know how you make out...pics are even better!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
Welcome Bruce I've had my #2 for about 6 months now and love it, done at least a dozen butts, your plan should work just fine, I use Famous Daves rub as well. I  would put the butt about 3 fourths of the way up and clip the bbq probe under the top rack just above the butt, you may also want to put a small loaf pan half full of apple juice on either side of the smoke box, helps stabilize temps, other than that I'd pull it at 195 internal foil and let rest an hour or so.....good luck and post afew pics!!!
Jim from Minnesota

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new smoker. I was a novice like yourself, however this forum has all the info you need to get you started.  It sounds like you already did your homework as your plan of attack is spot on.

When putting your rub on, make sure to pat dry, add a light coat of mustard as your binding agent, then add your rub.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to let your butt get nice and happy with flavour from your rub.  I also agree with Steve, start it early to give yourself enough time, every butt is different and some may experience longer stalls than others.  If you finish early, drop your temp down to 140 to keep it warm, then remove it from the smoker, foil and wrap 2 hours before your ready to eat.

There are also lots of posts in the "pork" section of this forum. I have to warn you, these smokers will make you look like a pro in no time.

Enjoy and post some pics.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:44:13 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bigbassnutt

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
I brined my last one overnight and allowed 2 hours per pound just to be safe. It got done a little early but really easy to keep it warm, very hard to hurry it up to temp. My first one I did, we ended up eating a 11 pm. Still it was some of the best pulled pork I have ever had.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:36:26 PM »
Hi Bruce, and congrats on a great new smoker!  I love the #2, and particularly like the Boston butt for the first smoke - great choice! ;)   It's a long smoke, but not complicated.  Here's the recipe I use for brining a butt, that I still use with every one:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

You want to trim the excess fat off the butt (there's plenty inside, so it won't make it dry), then brine overnight (12 hours is fine).

When you remove it from its bath, rinse it well under cold water to get the excess salt off the surface.  Then, slather with yellow mustard and rub (I love Famous Dave's Rib Rub on pork - best "store bought" out there).

Weigh your wood, it really helps.  A digital kitchen scale is handy to have.  5-6 oz for a butt.  I like hickory, or a mix of hickory/cherry, or straight cherry for butts - but that's just me.  Smoke flavor is definitely a personal preference, that you'll gain through trial and error, but does have an impact on the flavor!  Wood is definitely not all the same.

Don't worry about time, except as a guideline.  Allow 2 hours per pound for timing, but go strictly off of internal temp.  Let me also warn you about the "stall;" large cuts, like the butt, will plateau at around 160-180, and sit there for hours.  THIS IS NORMAL, so don't panic!  When you first start the cook, you'll be amazed how fast it climbs, and you'll think your 8 lb butt is going to hit 200 in about 4 hours!  It is NOT going to happen.  The cook will slow, as "evaporative cooling" takes place.  During the stall, the fat & connective tissue in the meat is rendering into sweet goodness, and the meat is tenderizing.  Let it ride - it will eventually start to climb.  If the temp drops (which is normal), be confident that nothing is wrong with your smoker - it's just the stall!

Use a water pan (disposable aluminum mini-loaf pan) with apple juice in it, on the floor of the box (next to the smoke box).  Put the butt in, hook up the thermometer, close the door and let 'er rip!  Keep that door closed the whole time, with no peeking!

When it hits at least 198, remove and double-wrap in heavy duty foil, then place in a cooler with a towel on top.  Let it rest for at least 30-minutes (an hour is better, if you have the time).  When you pull it, it will be awesome!

Good luck, and let us know how we can help!  Once you do a few butts and ribs, you'll see the "Lazy Q" method is really not that hard!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
Great info, I guess I'll be starting the butt around 1 AM then.  That should give it a full 16 plus an hour to rest.

A few more follow-up questions.

I have some chunk hickory, pecan, and apple.  Should I use the apple, or a mix?

How big should the wood chunks be, I weighed several on a digital scale and they weigh 6 to 8 ounces each.

Should I split them and make them smaller, or cut them in half, or is using 1 6 ounce piece enough?

Another question, the weather this weekend is forcasting storms, is it OK to be outside in rain, or would running it inside a garage with the door open work.  Its a detached 2.5 car garage?

I would guess I would need to put the Maverick in a ziplock bag? 

How hot does the top get?  Does the Maverick need to sit on a table?

I found a great container to brine it in, it's a Rubbermaid 2.5 gallon (40 cup) container. 

Fits a 8 pound butt like it was made for it, and sits in the fridge well.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Computer Geek

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
That's a nice container...I need to find one like that!   As for your questions...

I have some chunk hickory, pecan, and apple.  Should I use the apple, or a mix?  Completely up to you.  I usually use a split between hickory and cherry, but use the wood that you prefer.

How big should the wood chunks be, I weighed several on a digital scale and they weigh 6 to 8 ounces each.    I would recommend no more than 6oz of wood, so you can split the wood chunks until you get the mixture that you want.  For example, I would use a 3oz piece of hickory and 3 oz piece of cherry.   You make also need to split the chunks so they fit in the smoker box.

Should I split them and make them smaller, or cut them in half, or is using 1 6 ounce piece enough? One 6oz piece is fine, or you can split it into a couple of pieces.  Again, you want to be sure that you can close the top on the smoker box.

Another question, the weather this weekend is forcasting storms, is it OK to be outside in rain, or would running it inside a garage with the door open work.  Its a detached 2.5 car garage?   The SI will work fine in the rain and you can put a baggie over the top of the maverick.  Or, the garage will work as well, but I suggest placing the smoker close to the garage door, and have a fan on hand in case the smoke backs up into the garage.  With the door open, you should be fine, but I run a floor fan as well when I am in the garage just to help push the smoke out.

I would guess I would need to put the Maverick in a ziplock bag?  Yes, that's what I do

How hot does the top get?  Does the Maverick need to sit on a table?  In the garage, no problem.  Outside, the sun can heat up the top of the SI to a point where it could burn your hand if you firmly place your hand on the top.  Nevertheless, I put my maverick on the top of the SI and have not had any problems.  If you have a small table, then you might want to put on that instead.

Good luck!  I am sure you will have a fine feast!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
Steve is dead-on, Bruce.  Can't add anything to his great advice!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
My #2 arrived today.  I am about 3 hours into the initial seasoning. 

Wondering if I should start the butt earlier and put in the crock pot after I pull it to keep it warm.  That way I don't need to get up at 2AM to start it.

I could even prepare it a day earlier and reheat it in the crock pot. 

If I start it at 9PM, it would be done between 9AM and 1PM the next day.

Or maybe we just eat it for lunch AND dinner!
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Computer Geek

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
No need for crock pot or reheat with this unit.

There is no real work here... Go to 203 internal temp... Let it rest an hour and it will pull apart like nobodies business.

Sometimes I pull it right before company arrives and place in large casserole type dish with the juices and then slide that whole thing in the smoker obviously with no new wood added there is no more smoke so the unit just acts like a huge warming tray for 30 minutes until we pull the food out to serve.

Really easy.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
My #2 arrived today.  I am about 3 hours into the initial seasoning. 

Wondering if I should start the butt earlier and put in the crock pot after I pull it to keep it warm.  That way I don't need to get up at 2AM to start it.

I could even prepare it a day earlier and reheat it in the crock pot. 

If I start it at 9PM, it would be done between 9AM and 1PM the next day.

Or maybe we just eat it for lunch AND dinner!

Hey Bruce, your mind is spinning 100 MPH....slow down and breathe!  lol!  We've all been there - the anticipation, and so many unanswered questions!  Your plan of an early morning start is fine.  If I'm doing an 8 lb butt for dinner, I'll get up and start it around 3-4 a.m. and go back to bed!  Get the smoker prep'd the night before (foil, wood), make sure to poke a hole in the bottom foil for the drain/air hole (learned this the hard way once), and get your kitchen ready to put the butt on a shelf and in the smoker.  I actually have a little checklist for those early wake up starts, so my foggy head doesn't forget anything:

♦  Foil in smoker
♦  Hole in bottom
♦  Wood
♦  Water pan with apple juice
♦  Meat in the smoker & temp set

This is how simple it is.  Just put it on early, like you thought above, set the temp and go back to bed.  Trust me, it will not burn or get done before you get up. ;)

Once you do this a time or two, you'll see how easy smokes are in these smokers! 

No crock pot necessary on my smokes, except for reheating previously cooked/frozen meat (works great)!  If it gets done, follow the hold instructions you've seen - it'll be alright!

Hang in there, Bruce!  We'll get you through the first smoke, and you'll see you can handle this easier than you think! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
I generally go to bed around midnight to 1:00 am so when I do butts, I put them in about an hour before I go to bed. I like to ramp up the temp to prevent the infamous "Burp". I start at 135 for 45 minutes and then crank it up to 225 and go to bed.

If the butt reached 198-202 early, I leave it in the smoker (untouched), but turn the heat down to 140. Based on my planned mealtime, I pull the butt and rest for an hour or even two. I have held butts in the smoker at 140 for over 5 hours and still had super moist pulled pork.

It is a lot easier to start early and hold the butt until you are ready to eat than to eat late or try to speed up the cooking toward the end.

You have received a lot of good advice here. I think you are well on your way to a Sunday meal that everyone will love.

Don't forget to take some pictures and share with us. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »
I've been playing around with my Maverick ET-733.  Checking the accuracy, and looks like it's off by a couple degree's, but I can just adjust.

Did a ice water bath, used my Accurite kitchen digital, and then the 2 probes from the 733.

Ice Bath: Accurite showed 31.7, probe 1 was 36, probe 2 was 34.
Boil: Accurite showed 211..5, probe 1 was 212, probe 2 was 210.
Room: Accurite showed 75.2, probe 1 was 77, probe 2 was 75.

Looks like probe 2 is a bit more accurate than 1 (I tried switching probes around but they read the same).

I'll use probe 2 for meat temp, and 1 for smoker.

Going to Start the brine tonight at 10:00 tonight, brine for 12 hours, rub at 10:00 am, let it rest 14 hours.  Start the smoke at midnight on Saturday put on warm if it reaches temp before 4:00 PM, let rest from 4pm to 6pm and eat!

I think I'll use 3 ounces of apple and 2 of hickory.  Don't want to over smoke my first try.

If the meat happens to reach temp on time, do you shut it off and let the smoker cool down, or do you just shut off and open the door immediately?

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Computer Geek

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
I think you have a great plan Bruce!

There is no need to cool down. Just have an oven mitt to pull the shelf out of the smoker with as they are hot. I have on occasion pulled the shelves out without a mitt and have been just fine. You will have a little release of moisture when you open the door, but nothing to worry about. I use bear claws to pull my pork which also works well to lift the butt off of the shelf and into whatever vessel you are going to put it in.

Good luck on your smoke. We are setting up for a very rainy weekend here in ND, so I think my smoker may end up not being used this weekend. So, I will have to live vicariously through the smokes of others on this forum ;)

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.