Author Topic: Are you making sausage, do you want to make sausage?  (Read 13683 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Are you making sausage, do you want to make sausage?
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
I see several posts about "putting sausage on the grill" or "I cooked some sausage" I make my own, is anyone else? If your not and want to get started I can talk you through it. It is not that hard, there is some financial investment but than can happen in steps. Let me know if your interested.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Are you making sausage, do you want to make sausage?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
Brian,  I'm interested in learning more.  I was looking at B&P, and I noticed they don't list ingredients in there seasonings.  My main concern about most of the prepackaged seasonings is MSG.  Do you know if they use it in their sausage seasons?  It's a major migraine trigger for my wife, so I have to be careful about not including it in anything I smoke (or cook).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »
I do not know about the MSG, however I do know that they are willing to answer questions over the phone or emails. I have had great service and product from them. I learned about the from a Chef that has a craft meat and charcuterie shop. Give them a call. Feel free to PM me so I don't miss a response on this link.

Another thought is you do not have to use mixes, there are several fantastic recipes in Michael Ruhemelin's book Charcuterie. In our house we call it The Meat Bible.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:21:22 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Those look absolutely amazing. You have my attention and I am interested and willing to learn from you.

I'm from Canada and we don't always have access to the same products that you do in the US, do you have any suggestions for a homemade seasoning mix? Alternatively we do have a Bass Pro Shop up here.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »
Are you a reasonable driving distance to Detroit Michigan? Butcher and Packer is in Detroit. I just looked at their website they wont ship to Canada. You can get a good LEM #8 grinder and a 5lb sausage stuffer at Bass Pro.
You can get started with a grinder that attaches to a kitchen-aid mixer but a stuffer is important. They are about $125 USD.
Butcher and Packer has the best tasting spice mixes. LEM mixes are sold at Bass Pro, They are not bad, just not as good. You should be able to get the casings somewhere in Toronto. I have friends that don't buy as much bulk as I do and buy from the local butcher. you can make anything with a good grinder and stuffer. I recommend getting the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhemelan I likely spelled his name wrong. Lots of information and recipes in it.
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »
Hi Brian,

My family and I have been making and smoking our own sausage (primarily Venison based) for about 10 years now. We make Ring Sausage, Summer Sausage, Pepper Stix, Muscle Jerky, and just this year we experimented with making ground Venison Bacon (see post in the Bacon section). The Venison Bacon turned out "alright", but I doubt that we will do it again.

We have our own ring sausage recipe that basically consists of TenderQuick, Pepper, and Garlic. But our pepper stix and summer sausage mixes are all made by Excaliber.

Before you smoke any sausage, I would "strongly" encourage you to get a James Jerky Dryer. These Smokin-It units are so air-tight (usually a good thing for butts/Brisket/Ribs/etc.) and the sausage is so moist that the moisture is not able to get out of the smoker and you it ends up steaming the sausage instead of smoking it. The Jerky Dryer helps suck the moisture out of the smoker.

I haven't got my Jerky Dryer yet, but I will not be trying anymore sausage until I get one. They are back-ordered right now, but Steve says that he has some more coming in.

I am glad to see another sausage maker joining the forum!

Tony, I get all of my Excalibur sausage mixes directly from my local butcher, but I have also bought some other Excalibur seasoning from Waltons. I did a quick look on their website and found a ton of mixes that specifically stated that they do not contain any MSG. I haven't tried all of these, but here are just a few of the many that my search turned up:

Snack Stix - http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2375-willies-snack-stick.aspx
My favorite rub - http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-3518-smokehouse-bbq-no-msg-163-lb.aspx
Ring Bolgna - http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2344-ring-bologna-unit-no-msg.aspx
Polish Sausage - http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2338-polish-sausage-no-msg.aspx
BBQ Pepper Stix - http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2381-bbq-smoked-stick.aspx
Smoked Bratwurst - http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2314-blue-ribbon-bratwurst-no-msg-seasoning.aspx

There are many more, but these are a few that caught my eye. I have tried both of the snack stix mixes and they are both very good. The BBQ one is actually fairly sweet, but we liked it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:12:59 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »
Is anyone using the sausage bars in their smoker, if so whats your opinion?
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Waltons spices, Gregg!  I'll check them out.  So many of the packaged spices have MSG.  It doesn't bother me, but it's "instant migraine" for the wife!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:04 AM »
Looking at the Bratwurst spice from Walton's. It does list MSG as an ingredient.

My wife and I made several types of sausage a few years ago. Was lots of work, especially getting used to dealing with the casings we had. But we liked the product and want to try again.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
Hi JD,

I looked on the site and only found two of their brat seasonings that specifically called out that they used Monosodium Glutamate (MSG).

Here is the link to all the brat seasonings:
http://www.waltonsinc.com/c-44-bratwurst-seasoning.aspx

That being said, only one of them specifically calls out that is it does NOT use MSG, which is this one:
http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2314-blue-ribbon-bratwurst-no-msg-seasoning.aspx

I would call them and ask if the seasonings that do not specify that they use MSG contain it or not if you want to try any of the seasonings that do not include MSG in the ingredient list, but do not specify that it does not contain MSG.

BTW, I have no affiliation with this company. I just have had good luck purchasing seasonings from them and am a repeat customer.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jdiver

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
I'm lucky that I'm not bothered by MSG. But I know many are.  Likely they'v had enough call for NO MSG.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »
JD, MSG is a huge trigger for a lot of migraine sufferers (my wife included).  That's the one ingredient I have to be very careful to avoid.  Strange, but if she eats just a bite or two of something with MSG, she has a whopping migraine within an hour or two.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »
Are you a reasonable driving distance to Detroit Michigan? Butcher and Packer is in Detroit. I just looked at their website they wont ship to Canada. You can get a good LEM #8 grinder and a 5lb sausage stuffer at Bass Pro.
You can get started with a grinder that attaches to a kitchen-aid mixer but a stuffer is important. They are about $125 USD.
Butcher and Packer has the best tasting spice mixes. LEM mixes are sold at Bass Pro, They are not bad, just not as good. You should be able to get the casings somewhere in Toronto. I have friends that don't buy as much bulk as I do and buy from the local butcher. you can make anything with a good grinder and stuffer. I recommend getting the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhemelan I likely spelled his name wrong. Lots of information and recipes in it.

Brian, I just noticed your response.  I am approximately 4 hour drive from Detroit, but I drive down to Akron Ohio twice a year and often ship items to my relatives.  I can have them ship to Ohio. My father also has the LEM grinder while I have been using the kitchen aid for smaller batches. 

I will check out their website and the book you mentioned.  Thanks for the info.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

jdiver

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 05:34:44 AM »
I'll just count my blessings that I don't suffer nor does my wife suffer from MSG induced migraines.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
I'll just count my blessings that I don't suffer nor does my wife suffer from MSG induced migraines.

Me either - love the stuff!  But I definitely have to look out for the better-half! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas