Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 9177 times)

Smokem if ya got em

Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »
Thanks, that is good to know.   :D

Looks like I might be getting my Sams Card soon.

Do you use a "special" type of mustard for your binder or just a French's yellow mustard?

Am I correct that you don't use the internal meat temperature probe on ribs?
Dean from SE Michigan

Smokin-It Model #3 Owner as of May 10, 2014

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »
Just plain old French's mustard. In the end the mustard flavor goes away. So no need to use any fancy mustard.

Most people cook ribs by time as it is hard to get a probe into a rack of ribs without getting too close to the bone and throwing your temperatures off.

Best is to let them go for five hours and then use a toothpick next to the bone to see how easy the meat pulls away from the bone.

From that point you let them go until your personal preference of fall off the bone is reached.

Some like to sauce at 5 hours and put back in the smoker. I prefer to sauce and finish under the broiler on a large cookie sheet in my oven for a couple of minutes to caramelize the sauce. Less mess on the grill grates to clean up.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »
Thanks Gregg.  I've been reading the brining instructions you noted earlier for the boston butt.  I am so ready to get rolling.  I ordered some extra Hickory from Steve as part of my original order.  Do you think I need any other kind of wood for the boston butt?  Do you use more than one kind of wood during the smoke?  Appreciate your assistance.
Dean from SE Michigan

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
Hickory is great on Butts.

I ordered extra Hickory from Steve too along with some Cherry from him.

I typically use about 6 ounces of wood, half Hickory and half Cherry.

However, using all Hickory would be just fine as Hickory pairs really well with pork. You may want to weigh out closer to 5 ounces instead of 6 as Hickory provides a pretty strong smoke flavor. If you like a strong smoke flavor go all out with 6 ounces.

I would suggest ramping up your temp starting at 140 (others have had luck with different temps) or so for 30-45 minutes to help avoid the infamous belch.

I haven't tried the Sugar Maple that I see Steve has now, but the Hickory and Cherry from him is awesome wood.

Many here also buy wood from Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods. Bing search will help you find the sites.

I would stay away from the big box store wood as it is often extremely dry and will catch fire way easier than higher quality smoking wood.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
Hey Dean, wood is very "subjective" to your taste.  For example, some people really like apple wood smoked pork; I hate it.  If it's mixed with a little hickory, it's OK, but I don't like it alone, as apple has a very unique flavor (at least to me).  I love hickory on just about everything (it's "traditional" Q just about everywhere).  On pork, I usually do a mix of cherry and hickory.  Peach is also good on pork, especially with a little hickory mixed in.  I even like oak!  Bottom line:  find the woods that suit your taste, not mine.  Experimentation is the key - you'll find the combinations that work for you.  There really IS a difference in wood smoke! 

Here's a start:  Brine a butt, and smoke it with the SI hickory dowels; you won't be disappointed.  As your experience progresses, try some different woods and see what works for you.  Just be sure to get good quality wood, like Gregg said; it does make a difference. 

Good luck with your first smoke! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
Thanks Tony, I will give it a try with the hickory.  I did order some peach from Fruitawood.  Will mix a little of that in if it arrives before I get my first smoke underway. Can't thank you, Gregg and Steve enough.  Appreciate all of you getting me pointed in the right direction. :)
Dean from SE Michigan

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Should be a good day tomorrow for Dean! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Yes it will be Tony.   ;D Will be on the road early to meet Steve and pick up my #3. Then back home to fire it up for its seasoning session.
Dean from SE Michigan

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Cool!  Believe me, it's like Christmas! ;D   When you season it, don't foil anything.  Just throw 3 good-size hickory dowels in, close the door and set it to 250.  4 hours later, you're good to go!  The smell inside will change from machine oil to good wood smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
Great, I appreciate all the guidance.  I'm rounding up my ingredients for the first smoke.  Found one of the Tyson butts you mentioned.  8 1/2 lbs.  When you get the butts at Sam's do you smoke all ~16 lbs at once or freeze one and smoke the other?
Dean from SE Michigan

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »
I usually freeze one unless I am expecting a lot of people.

I have one in the freezer right now.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
I usually smoke both in the 2-pack, and freeze the pulled pork from the second one when it's done.  I freeze it in FoodSaver bags, so when it's reheated, it's just like the day it came out of the smoker!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
The Eagle has Landed. ;) 

Met Steve this morning and picked up the #3 and the rest of my order.  Enjoyed talkinig with him and hearing his business philosophy which matches up with what I've been reading here:  A quality product, reasonable price and great customer service.  I'm a believer! 

Then he threw more things in my "cart" than I ordered and he said that was to make the drive worth it. WOW.  Got the seasoning smoke underway.  As it sits in my driveway I'm admiring it like a new car.  Oh and I did tell him you said Hi Tony.   He mentioned how appreciative he is of you and all customers and forum participants.

Now I've got to get some brine prepped for the boston butt.

Dean from SE Michigan

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »
Congratulations are in order, Dean!  So glad everything went well!  Now, the fun begins!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
Completed the first smoke in my new #3.  I think it the brined boston butt turned out pretty well.  Cooked completely and was still moist. My wife liked it too.  Learned a lot on how to make the next smoke even better.  Got slowed down a bit due to some intense weather that was moving through the past 2-3 days. Was not sure how weather sensitive the Auber was so I set it in the garage and snugged the smoker up close enough to allow Auber leads to run under the garage door into the smoker.  Thanks for all the guidance everyone.  Next up Spare Ribs that I got from Costco.
Dean from SE Michigan