Author Topic: New #2 in Houston  (Read 1836 times)

hurst03

New #2 in Houston
« on: March 01, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
Just seasoned the new smoker last night and cooking some chicken tonight!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: New #2 in Houston
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Outstanding!  Welcome to the club!  When you have time (after the chicken, of course), be sure to tell us about yourself in the Introductions section!  We like to get to know our new family members.  Throw us all the questions you like!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

hurst03

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »
So my first smoke went well, I found a local place in Houston that sells Fruitawood by the pound so I picked up some peach and did about 3-4 oz of peach for 4 hours at 230. I had a 6.5 lb chicken. I checked the temp at 3.5 hours and the internal temp was 163 so I left it for another 15min and got it to about 165. The meat turned out great and was really juicy.
The only thing that wasn't great was the skin wasn't crispy...maybe with the PID I can get the temp high enough to make the skin crispy.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
Peach is great on chicken!  One trick I use to get the skin a little browner (without a PID) is to let the chicken rest in the fridge overnight, uncovered (lets the skin dry a bit), then rub with olive oil and rub.  Cook at 250 instead of 230.  It comes out about a crispy as it will get, if limited to 250.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!