Author Topic: Hello from Wisconsin  (Read 1839 times)

hopped

Hello from Wisconsin
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Hey all -

New owner of a #3 here.  Cooked a brined 10# boston butt last weekend to perfection in 0 degree weather!  This thing performs like a champ.

Got a brisket going today, my first brisket I've ever cooked.  We'll see how it turns out!

The only complaint I have so far is the wild swings and inaccuracy of the analog thermometer.  When I smoked the butt last weekend, my temperatures ranged from 195 to 255 during the entire cook with the analog thermometer at 225.  This was without a water dish.

Last night I loaded the brisket with a makeshift foil water dish filled with beer and woke up to 300 degree temps (analog set to 225)!  I didn't believe it until I double checked with my thermopen.  Very strange.

I'm leaning towards buying the Auber PID to deal with both of these issues.   :)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Hello from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
Hi Hopped, welcome!  I use disposable aluminum "mini loaf" pans with liquid (half-full) on the floor, set up against the smoke box.  Seems to act as a heat sink, and minimizes the temp swings.  Can't go wrong with the Auber, though, if you want "dead on" temps!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
Welcome!!!

If you get the Auber your swings will be plus minus 4 degrees F. That is pretty good.

Enjoy. Send psnaps of the end product.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
DM is spot on.  I use a old veggie can filled with boiling water let it rest on the bottom of the smoker.  the temps don't vary more than 8-10 degrees.  i use boiling water to offset the the cold meat going in the smoker.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?