Author Topic: Happy New Year from North Dakota  (Read 2075 times)

DakotaDano

Happy New Year from North Dakota
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:07:59 AM »
Hi everyone from ND. As I stated in earlier post most of my smokes are during winter season. My wife and I are on a scale of 1-10 for experience in smoking about a 3 at best. We have smoked sausage and marinated salmon for several years and to be honest... Some of it was not so good.

We looked for long time for an insulated smoker that would stand to the tests of time and found our model#2.

Will keep everyone posted how we progress

Dan

Wik

Re: Happy New Year from North Dakota
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
Welcome!  I'm pretty much in the same boat and general location.  Just put a few pork butts in today, can't let a little cold weather stop me with this smoker.  It has been one of my more enjoyable toys and there are many people here that will help you out or provide tip and tricks.

Happy smoking,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »
Welcome Dakota!  I was new to smoking back in Jan/Feb of last year and decided to purchase a #2.   With something in the smoker pretty much every weekend, it doesn't take long to get comfortable with these smokers and turning out good food!   The experimentation with wood, water pans, different brines and rubs, is a lot of fun!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
Welcome, Dan!  Congrats on the new #2!  Don't be intimidated by being "new" to smoking meat.  Lots of good info here, and all you have to do is copy some of the techniques and recipes.  What you'll find is that the SI smoker is truly "Lay Q" at its finest!  So easy to produce some really tasty Q!  Let us know if you have questions, and be sure to post pics when you can (we LOVE pictures!). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »
Hi Dakota,

It is nice to see some other North Dakotans here.

I have been reading a lot of threads here and heading off to do my own intro.

So much good information on this forum in its relatively short time since starting.

Koze
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.