Author Topic: Auto Tuning - Group Results  (Read 67035 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auto Tuning - Group Results
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
I don't believe you would be able to autotune for cold smoking, since you're really taking the temp probe out of the equation.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
Exactly!
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

GeeBee

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
OK. I installed a permanent probe, just below the top shelf (ala DivotMaker) put 3 bricks in the #2, set a "cooking" program and ran autotune. I couldn't decide on what wood to use ::). The autotune ran for 2 hours. Ambient air temperature was 83 degrees. I ended up with P: 47 I: 849 D: 106. A good bit different from the factory pre tune, but not out of line with others figures I see here. Looking forward to the next smoke to see what difference this makes.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
Way to go, Gary!  I hope you find the fixed probe as accurate as I do.  I love the consistent results!  Probe placement is no longer a factor.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Garydm

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
OK I am a new owner of a #2 and I have the Auber PID. I am reading the auto tune suggestions. I have a dumb question. You use bricks and maybe a water pan so you have a load, where does the #2 internal temp probe go?

Thank You

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »
Gary, the #2 internal temp probe doesn't do anything when using the PID.  If you are not bypassing the controller, just set your dial to 250.  The Auber will control the element based on feedback from the Auber box temp probe, not the #2 temp sensor. 

You can do the autotune while cooking, too; I just used bricks and a water pan to have a good heat sink and simulate cooking, since I didn't have time or anything to smoke when I autotuned. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

GeeBee

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
Wow! We're getting a lot of Gary's around here. Cool! I've noticed several times here, people seem to be confused a bit about the probes. Careful reading of the Auber manual tells you that if you set all your "endings" to "time", then you can use just Probe #1 (the cabinet probe). I even discovered that you can substitute the internal probe for the other probe. I was doing some ABT's when I got the "H" error. Out of desperation, I unplugged probe #1, plugged the internal temp probe into it's place and dangled it inside the cabinet. It worked. Obviously my probe #1 went bad, so I replaced it with a permanent probe. Hope this helps.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

bigbassnutt

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »
I finally did an autotune on my Auber today. Set up for a rack of ribs, 140 for 30 minutes then 225 for 4 1/2 hours. Took about 2 hours for the AT to quit flashing. Here is what my numbers were: P 32  I 931  D 116.  I did notice a difference in it maintaining temp, Everytime I looked at it, it was either 225 or 2 degree variance, a lot better than before. I was used to getting 15 degree temp swings, don't think it really affects the end result that much but nice to know its holding steady now. Next step is the permanent probe and bypass, just been hesitant to open it up.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

bigbassnutt

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 07:40:36 PM »
I do have a question, why do you recommend writing down the numbers after you autotune? It will store them until you change them right? I am not sure it would be necessary to change for different types of cooks.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

mnsmoker

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »
I've been using the auber with fixed probe in my #2 for a couple of months, I didn't record the numbers either and you don't have to change them for different foods works great no matter what I smoke. Don't be afraid to open up the back to install the fixed probe and bypass the stock controller, from start to finish takes about an hour there are easy to follow posts on both of these mods, the fixed probe made my maverick almost useless as I rarely use it anymore, one less thing to hook up.
Jim from Minnesota

GeeBee

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
Mike, I believe Auber is the one that recommends writing the numbers down. I think it's just in case something goes blooey and you want to return to a known starting point. It will indeed store your PID settings until you change them (you can go in and manually change them if you so desire). And no, you don't need to change them for different cooks. Once the Auber is set for your box, then that's where it should stay. On the other hand, there are those of us that like to experiment  ::). I've done a few autotunes, just to see, and while I always get slightly different numbers, they're always within the ballpark. This is just for my curiosity as much as anything else.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »
With the permanent box probe, I did one autotune only.  It has been dead-on the money each and every smoke since.  It never varies more than 2 degrees.
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »
here are my results:

P 56
I 283
D 160

Used two bricks, one water can, and a hanging probe below the bricks.
#3.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
Sounds like you got it, Ed!  The key, with the removable probe, is to put it in as close to the same spot as possible during the cook.  That spot is where it read those measurements, so try to duplicate it.  Of course, the permanent probe eliminates that all together. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »
Once I bypass the controller do you recommend another auto tune?

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?