Author Topic: Which EZ Off?  (Read 5006 times)

Grady

Which EZ Off?
« on: December 14, 2019, 06:10:02 AM »
A while back someone posted a certain chemical to avoid when buying EZ-Off. After searching all the cleaning threads, no luck finding it. Anyone?
814'er in the 'daks.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Which EZ Off?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
Sorry... no idea.  For my part, I'd just question the use of any EZ Off...  I've never used anything more than soap/water and scrub pad on the grates and nothing but a putty knife inside the smoker.  I can't think of any reason that's going to change for me either... 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
For really bad cases, I will use oven cleaner (any brand) on my grates. Put them in plastic bag, spray generously and let sit overnight. Then I take them out rinse cleaner off with hot water and then wash with dish soap and rinse again. Last step is to spray liberally with white vinegar, let sit for a few minutes and then rinse off with plain water.

I know some people used to use oven cleaner as paint stripper. And vinegar is used to neutralize most paint strippers that I've used.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

NVW-SSV

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 07:26:10 AM »
I've used EZ off before in my #2 and then (after using putty knife and a LOT of paper towels to get it all out), sprayed the inside down with 1/2 white vinegar and water solution, again.........a LOT of paper towels to get it as dry as possible.......note: wrap around the heating element cage with aluminum foil and then saran wrap to keep it clean and dry.

Then do an empty cook, small block of oak to season the smoker......at 225* for 2 hours.   
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
A friend of mine gave me some stuff he picked up from Sams Club, it’s a stainless steel grill cleaner that works really well. Cuts grease and build up great. I use it on the grates, like one above, in a garbage bag and let it sit in the hot sun in the summer for a few hours. Then clean them with soap and water a few times. If you have Sams Club access,  let me know and I’ll get a pic to you.

For the smoker, I just The the grates on my grill and turn the heat up to high and that does the trick with the brush.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »
I have had to use EZ off.  Once on my old Cook Shack.  A rodent or two slithered their way into the cabinet through the drip hole and set up housekeeping.  There were hairs and droppings and I am assuming urine.  Plain old heavy duty EZ Off all over the interior.  Twice then had to re-season. No damage. After that, I used a heavy stove bolt with a washer JB Welded to the bolt.  Just drop it in the hole and no more rodent issues. And the EZ Off did no damage. Just sponged it off with hot water and followed with a white vinegar rinse.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
I have had to use EZ off.  Once on my old Cook Shack.  A rodent or two slithered their way into the cabinet through the drip hole and set up housekeeping. 

Yeah, ok... I'd probably do the same in that case. :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
Over on another forum, someone had a similar problem and the advice was don't worry, the heat and the smoke would basically clean everything up.  I wasn't sure about that, thus the EZ Off.  But I never clean to like new.  Just brush off the flakey stuff every once in a while, clean the racks after each use and smoke on.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus